Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by willowgreenemom, Jul 27, 2014.

1. willowgreenemom

willowgreenemom Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    Stanardsville, VA
    My husband and I are getting our "farm" off to a great start. We have purchased 6 Kiko goats, a guard donkey, and want to raise guineas to keep the bugs down to a minimum. We are new at this but have been doing a lot of research for the past two years; reading, talking, networking, going to workshops, visiting farms, etc. Our four doelings will be here the end of August and the 2 year olds will be here in September after being bred by the owner's favorite buck. They will kid in February so we'll have some cold nights to spend in the pasture with them
    I know I'll have questions about the guineas so look for them in a few weeks. The farm where we bought the donkey has 3 week old guineas which the owner is willing to sell a few. We haven't given her an answer yet but have sufficient space to keep them warm and safe until we can build a coop as they get older and ready to be outside.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    It's a pleasure to be here!
    Naomi
    [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you are putting together a nice farm! You might want to check in at our Guinea section for more expert advice on keeping Guineas...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl

And you also might like one of our sister sites, BackYardHerds to share your experiences...http://www.backyardherds.com/

Enjoy all your wonderful critters and it is great to have you aboard!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  3. willowgreenemom

willowgreenemom Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    Stanardsville, VA
    Thank you for the nice welcome. I will definitely check out the links you mentioned The backyard herd sounds like a good place to start.

4. Tatianna

Tatianna In the Brooder

May 8, 2013
    Northern New Hampshire
    Willow Green Mom,
    Welcome~
    New to chickens a few years ago, I have found this site and the forums irreplaceable in my life with the girls! I hope you have the same experience. You will not meet kinder people.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Naomi! Glad you decided to join our flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. [​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! You'll enjoy BackYardHerds. It's not as huge and busy as this site, but we have some lovely members over there and quite a few goat lovers!

10. willowgreenemom

willowgreenemom Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    Stanardsville, VA
    Thanks for all the welcomes. I'm looking forward to becoming a family member and asking lots of questions when we get our flock. We dont' know if we will get them from our donkey owner or another person who has older ones for sale. The younger ones we can get now and keep inside while we build a coop and they should be ready to move out with the goats and donkey when they arrive. Such goings on - it's beginning to feel like we are starting a business.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by