Suespetchickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 11, 2014
I have just joined this group and I am looking forward to gaining a lot of wisdom from all the other members about chickens. I have 14 hens of all kinds and 3 roosters. I have had backyard chickens now for 3 years. I love it!

That's a lot of roosters . One rooster can handle 10 hens , if there are less than that ,the hens tend to get overbred and damaged.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You might want to think about re-homing one of those roosters, or else getting some more hens. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters can be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. Even if they haven't done so up to this point, things can change rapidly as they mature more. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Thanks for your email. I enjoy my chicken family so much. I am looking forward to finding new information from this group.

My God is not dead either. I praise him every minute of the day.

Sue Jones

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom