Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fergy20, Nov 13, 2014.

1. fergy20

fergy20 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    How can you keep a chicken coop warm

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes of course they can. They need a draft free well built coop with good ventilation. They also need to have fresh water to drink - that is not frozen solid, and proper chicken feed . Please visit the Learning Center .

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Absolutely! Keep them in a dry draft free coop. It doesn't have to be insulated, but make sure the roost bar is accessible, a 2x4 with the 4 side up is good to help keep the feet warm and heat inside the bird. Make SURE to have adequate ventilation in your eaves or ceiling. 1 square food per bird. All the moisture from the breathing and pooping needs to go somewhere or it will fall back down on the birds as water or frost. This can chill them to the point of death. Keep the coop dry by cleaning up all poop and some nice dry bedding down. Any added moisture in the coop will add more water to the air. Seal up all cracks around the roost bar so they are roosting in quiet air and keep the bar low to the floor too where all the heat is and the moisture is not.

Good luck and keep your birdies warm! :)

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, a chicken can fro sure die from being to cold.

Two Crows as well as the other members have given you good advice,

Ventilation is probably one of the most important things to have in winter. Without proper ventilation your birds will get frostbite, respiratory illnesses and other problems.
    Chickens can survive brutally cold temps as long as they are dry and out of all drafts. Sealing up all cracks in the coop and putting in about 1 square foot of vent space in the eaves per bird. Wind chills are merciless on chickens sleeping at night so make sure your coop is draft free.

Other things to do to help keep your chickens snug this winter include using straw as a bedding, using the 4" inch side of a 2x4 roosts. I also put a towel that has been in the dryer and put it on the roosts to warm their feet. Make sure that there is no water spillage or moisture collection on the bedding as this can also result in frostbite. On the very cold nights you should rub vaseline on the chickens' combs and wattles to help prevent freezing.
    Here's a link on frostbite and ventilation.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/frostbite
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/things-to-and-not-to-do-during-winter

You don't need a heat lamp if you have ventilation, proper bedding, proper roosts and proper feed. In the winter you should be feeding your normal layer, grower or chick feed along with scratch as this will keep the birds warm especially if you feed it in the evenings.

Bedding that is warm and absorbent is also necessary. Wet bedding mixed with the cold temps and wind chills equals bad frostbite. So either use straw, shavings or shredded paper. Straw is possibly the best bedding to use in winter. Line the nests with straw to help prevent eggs from freezing. Bales of straw help act as insulation and keep the coop even warmer.

Heated water bowls are also imperative. Chickens drink non-stop in winter and they can't do that if their water is frozen! So either buy a heated bowl or use a heated base on the bottom of their regular waterer. I've also heard of people who place a 40 watt bulb in between bricks and then put the water on top in a bowl. Make sure the waterer isn't plastic.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. The other members have given you some really good advice and links on keeping your chickens warm so I'll just say, please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Some chicken breeds are more cold hardy than others. What kind of chickens do you have?

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

TwoCrows and MountainPeeps have already given you some good advice! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

10. fergy20

fergy20 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Thanks for the help guys I am really new at raising chickens but I'm giving it a shot ha I really don't know what kid of chickens I have just have them for there eggs I have now add a light to my chicken coop to keep them warm and shut the run board door

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by