1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by urbanchxnguy, Nov 30, 2014.

1. urbanchxnguy

urbanchxnguy New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Miami
    Hi! My name is Steve and I live in my Miami. And no! My chickens are not for Santeria! I have had my chickens for about 3 months. I found this website today cause I needed to learn to clip my chickens' wings. I inherited 5 chickens and a coop. I have a barred rock, Maran, golden nugget, RIR (I think) and had what looked like a maran with feathers on her legs. But she flew over a 6ft fence into traffic. She was my favorite :( So here I am, looking as to how to keep my chickens safe and happy.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
  3. urbanchxnguy

urbanchxnguy New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Miami
    Yeah me either. I'm not crazy about clipping their wings but I don't know what else to do. :/

4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    It will look pretty tacky, but some people get success by raising the height of fences with bamboo poles or something else that has an uneven top so they are not invited to try to reach the top to roost. Supporting poles with netting above the fence might work and be more attractive?

I don't know how long it takes for trimmed wings to refeather, but it is something you would need to keep repeating.

I have heard of some chickens that actually climb fences and of some of the lighter breeds that still can fly quite high with clipped wings.

Why don't you also post this issue under managing your flock. Likely you'll get more opinions.

5. urbanchxnguy

urbanchxnguy New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Miami
    Oh ok. I got a lot to learn. I'm new t this whole forum thing as well. Thanks for your help.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Only clip one wing, this will make her unbalanced when she tries to fly. Her feathers will stay clipped until she molts.

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] wondered how long it lasted.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    OR if possible make a run for them with a covered top, it will also keep raptors away.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by