Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ltew, Dec 9, 2014.

1. ltew

ltew New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    [​IMG]hello new here. Just wanted to introduce myself. Starting my first coop out of a tollbooth. I have atached a 4by8 elivated run for food and water but will be letting them free range in a decent size yard surrounded by 6 foot chain link! Been getting a lot of good Ideas on this site. So far the coop and run are built I have everything covered in heavy duty wire with screws and fender washers. Taking my time and looking to get a few chickens by the spring! A lot of racoons in my area so I been doing a lot of reading on that. Just trying to take every measure now to pretext them before I get them. Thanks for all the great reading from you guys it helps a lot any advice will be appreciated. I just hope the coop is not to small. Coop is 4by8 as the little run 4by8 and will be free ranging. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. ltew

ltew New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. ltew

ltew New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    Probably gonna board up the big window. Also have the vent it make roost and door from run to coop. Still a project. This New York rain is puting it on hold

4. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    hi there! welcome to BYC! your chicken coop is nice, looks like it will be a good house for your chickens. how many chickens are you thinking of getting? hope those raccoons don't give you grief. I've had trouble with them before and you just have to keep the windows boarded up and the door locked really well at night. do you have coyotes in your area? they can be a real problem too, and foxes as well.

so welcome once again and the best of wishes with your chickens!
    spitfirecream15

5. ltew

ltew New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah. Unfortunately my backyard has acres of undeveloped woodland. And I'm sure there's a fox hanging around plus my neighbors love feeding wild cats and I'm sure the coins love the cat food. I would like to get between 4-6 hens but I haven't giving that much thought yet until I'm sure I get this coop as tight as I can. I have two ways in and out. The door witch has a lock and the side of the run which shuts tight with two locking hasps. Thanks for the advise

6. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    Just glad to be able to help at all. Have you read Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow? I have a number of her books and have read Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens a few times. It has an awesome section on predator prevention and stuff like that. If you haven't read it you really should. It is excellent.
    Oh and the coons do like cat food, they like it a lot. Do you have any neighbours with big dogs? I had a hen mauled by a dog once. Just awful. Good that you've got a good fence though. Sounds like you've got a good facility!

7. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island
    Welcome to BYC from Vancouver Island!

Looks like you are well on your way to doing this right! Nice work on the research so far and keep asking questions :)

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

Good luck with your future flock!

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by