1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mimisbabies, Dec 12, 2014.

1. mimisbabies

mimisbabies New Egg

Dec 12, 2014
    Hello everyone. Just hatched 5 baby chicks. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. They seem to be eating and drinking good. In a brooder in my room of all places. Lol. Like I said..Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I would suggest keeping your chicks in the brooder until they are well feathered out, and make sure that provide the grit they need for proper digestion. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chicks did you hatch?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Put some clean marbles or glass pebbles in their water dish so they don't accidentally fall forward and drown - chicks do that honestly. Make sure all of them are eating and drinking and keep an eye out for pasty butt. Welcome to BYC

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Welcome to BYC and the flock.[​IMG]
    It sounds like your adventure is just beginning! Chicks are so much fun. What breed are they? Just keep them warm, draft free, with lots of fresh water and food. Check for pasting, it's a buildup of lose droppings on or around the vent. If that's the case, wipe with damp paper towel and gently pat dry. Put an application of vasoline to keep from happening again. Good luck with them![​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Good luck with your chicks!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] My advice is to start building a predator proof coop. Have fun with them!

9. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by