New Member-

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by binky1902, Dec 26, 2014.

1. binky1902

binky1902 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    Hello! New member here, I've owned chickens for about 4-5 months now. I have 24 chickens total, separated into two different flocks. I have 9 hens, which are around 22 weeks old, in a large setup in the back field, which consists of a 12x12 coop attached to a 10x22 run. They just started laying this past week and I'm super excited. I have another coop built into the corner of my barn, which is around 8x8, with a door cut into the front of the barn for access to a 16x10 run. The other 13 hens and two roosters live in there. They are only around 13-14 weeks old. One of the roosters will soon be moving in with the nine 9 hens in the other area. It has went really smoothly and has been fun. The only little issue I've been having is that the 14 wk old cockerel is very aggressive with the little pullets. Well, Hello and I look forward to talking chickens with all of you.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome. I think the 14 wk. cockerel needs to be separated from the little pullets until they are about his size. He could end up hurting them badly.

4. binky1902

binky1902 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I took him out and put him in with the big girls this evening, and they actually took to him pretty well. The highest ranking hen, the Red Star, kinda jumped on him a little but he pecked back and she backed down. He's only around 14-15 weeks old but he is huge, much bigger than my full grown hens. I have rotated the watering/feeding dishes between the two flocks since they were babies. My thinking was that this would prepare them in case I ever had to move them all in together, as far as immunity to disease goes. Is this enough or should I consider quarantining him in a portion of the coop with them for a while? They were all vaccinated at birth but some came from McMurray and some from Ideal.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

I think that is more than enough.. oh and welcome to BYC...

I take a more laid back approach than many here, but if you are going between the "two" flocks any disease you have is carried on your boots and clothing anyways.

Unless you bring a disease in from outside your "farm" you should be safe. Of Course you have no idea what bad bugs might be lurking in the soil.

I figure here at my place I have every disease in the known world in the soil. This farm has been in my family alone over 100 years and was a farm since about 1870. I am willing to bet it has had poultry most of that time.

With that I am sure their are diseases. Hopefully the young I raise become immune, are immune or die young.

6. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

8. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC! Glad to have you here!

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] You've come to the right place to talk chicken. Nice to have you join us!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by