Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rainey, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Rainey

Rainey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2015
    Just signed up after reading BYC threads on breeds and foraging. We've had chickens for 13 years but want now to begin breeding our own chicks. At first we had donated chickens (our farm is a charitable non-profit) and then bought pullets, then day-old chicks. We've had mostly Rhode Island Reds, Black Austrolorps and Buff Orpingtons. Right now we're down to just 4 Orpingtons and need to get chicks this spring. We keep chickens for eggs, not meat, haven't kept rooster since we had a donated one that ate eggs years ago. Once we start breeding our own, we'd eat whatever needed to be culled.
    We found out about BYC because it came up on RabbitTalk and homesteadingtoday and in various searches when we were trying to decide about breeds, coop and tractor designs etc. So we lurked a lot and then decided to sign up so we can ask some questions.
    We have goats for milk and cheese and just started raising rabbits for meat last spring. Getting our rabbits off pellets and feeding them naturally led us to want to do the same with our other animals. We have kept our chickens in a rolling coop with a yard underneath for spring through fall, but want to make smaller tractors and move them more often this year. Also interested in finding chicks from hens that were raised as foragers if possible, in stead of purchasing from a hatchery.
    Have already found so much helpful information on this forum and look forward to being able to ask questions--and maybe even answer a few.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You might enjoy BYC's sister site BackyardHerds as well

3. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Rainey, welcome to BYC! Sounds like you're a busy person and have a lot of interesting things going on. If you have any questions or something to share, feel free!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Wishing you the very best of luck with breeding your chicks. Hope everything goes to plan for you. Lovely to hear BYC has been so helpful for you. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you decided to join us.

6. Rainey

Rainey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2015
    This is only my second time of joining a forum--have been on RabbitTalk for several months. Vision not so good so find it challenging to do the screen stuff--find what I'm looking for. So hope you'll all be patient with me.

I tried reading the stuff that newcomers were supposed to, including frequently asked questions and the advice to search for previous posts before starting a new thread to ask a question. But then in some of the threads that came up in searching, posts advised people not to post in old threads but to start new ones. Already know the basics but trying to learn more about pasturing/tractor (free range not practical with predators) and getting chickens that have been bred more for homestead uses than for commercial production or show. Have to figure out where on here to ask my questions.
    I did find the thread for NY--should I introduce myself there as well as in this new member place if I want to make connections more locally?
    Thanks for the kind welcomes.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

Good luck with your Buff Orpingtons! Introducing yourself on your state thread would be a good idea.[​IMG]They may be able to help you in the future with local information.

I hope you can find the answers to all your questions!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Like you, I keep chickens for eggs. I currently have 25 hens, and no roosters in my flock, and my hens are stress free and enjoying life without any roosters around to harass and over-breed them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by