Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickens10, Feb 17, 2015.

1. chickens10

chickens10 New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    Hi everybody!

I'm new to BYC. Does anybody know of a heat tolerant egg producing chicken that's good for a pet? If anyone does, please tell me. Thanks!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Define pet. Do you mean a house pet chicken? Or a coop outside pet chicken? Chickens in general are flock animals and much better off when raised with others. Its best to have 2-3 so they have buddies. If you are interested in the house pet type - you may want to visit the "People with house chickens," thread to read their comments. Welcome to Backyard Chickens

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] x2 on Drumstick diva's comments.

Also, heat tolerant is relative, depends on where you are and the type of heat/humidity you have.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

Many breeds do well in the heat. However, the best breeds for heat tolerance are the ones that originated in the Mediteranean region, such as Leghorns, Minorcas, and Catalanas. However, those heat-hardy breeds don't make the best pets, as they are often flighty. If it doesn't get too hot where you live, a good compromise would likely be Red Sex-Links, Black Sex-Links, Orpingtons, Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, or Plymouth Rocks. They do fine in the heat and make better pets in general than those Mediteranean class breeds.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Wyandottes7 gave you a good list of heat-suitable breeds. Good luck with any chicken adventures!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

What a lovely avatar!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Black Australorps are extremely heat tolerant. I've raised them where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (sometimes more) and while my other breeds were listless, holding out their wings and panting, my Australorps were going about their usual business. Black Australorps are also calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by