Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by debbusier, Mar 9, 2015.

1. debbusier

debbusier Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Hello....
    I grew up with my mother owning a chicken farm, however I was very young when she sold her farm around 4 years old. Now that I have my own son who is 3 years old I want to feel good about giving him fresh eggs that are not genetically altered eggs. I have been getting my fresh eggs from a friend that have chickens and she suggested that I might as well start getting chickens. So with a lot of talking with my boyfriend we decided to build a coop and get some chicks ( well not there yet). We will be building the coop this weekend and hopefully we will be getting the chicks next. Rhode Island Red Chickens were suggested to get because of the cold climate here in Colorado Springs and their temper since they are nice and friendly. Any suggest well be greatly appreciated as well since we have 2 Husky 1 miniature Australian Shepherded plus 2 cats. Thank you
    Deb.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. leilanio

leilanio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2015
    Southern California
    Welcome to the best resource for all things chicken! [​IMG]
    I find I can literally spend hours on this site hopping around and reading how to do better for the girls.

We have RIR too and they are very sweet and great with kids!

[​IMG]

3. debbusier

Mar 9, 2015
    Thank you.....[​IMG]
    Where we live in the City, so hopefully we will own 3-4[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]RIR's. I wish we lived in the country to have about that many of chickens and goats. Again Thank You.

4. leilanio

leilanio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2015
    Southern California
    You are welcome debbusier. Who knows you may love it so much that you move to a less "city-fied" place to have more chicks and goats. Be sure to take lots of pics got as you may remember they get super big super fast!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. In my experience (and I know other BYC members who have commented the same), Rhode Island Reds are sometimes aggressive (particularly the roosters). If aggression is a concern, I would go with one of the breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (potential lap pets), such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Sussex, or Faverolles. All of these breeds are cold hardy and good layers (Australorps are excellent layers). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I live in Colorado too!

Buff orpingtons are by far my favorite breed. They are cold hardy, great layers and very docile.

8. debbusier

Mar 9, 2015
    Thank you all for all the good information.
    I have been doing a lot of reading about chickens even on top of my homework from College too. I was so glad to come across this site and wonderful people taking time to help me. Just looking for good egg layers that are friendly around my 3 year old son and no rooster since I live in the city. Not too worried about how well the chicken coop will be built, since my boyfriend is a carpenter, and the shed's he built here on our property are good enough to be tiny homes. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]