Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by barbiec, Mar 12, 2015.

1. barbiec

barbiec New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Thomaston, Ga
    hi my name is Barbie, I live in Ga. Ken and I recently started working with Chickens, mainly to supplement income as well as a hobby. I have my pets of course.

We currently have silkies, SLW, frizzles, RIR and black and blue Marans, with a few mystery chickens.

We are learning as we go. We learn something new everyday. To my amazement the one thing I'm more stunned by is how not all chickens look alike. Amazing how much these babies can change and how each have their own personality and demeanor. Even each breed each one has something different.

We are still learning, can wait until we have our first set of eggs. I'll be so proud. But right now I dnt believe none of my girls are ready to lay.

I'm still working on the whole feeding thing. Some say I feed to much some say not enough. And trying to figure out how to keep their water clean.

But all in all, I'm sooo enjoying my flock. I never knew it could be so relaxing and enjoyable.

2. Honey B

Honey B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2015
    Georgia
    Welcome. Always glad to meet another chicken lover from Georgia.

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, each chicken does have it's own personality and appearance. Even if you have a flock of all black chickens, each one will have a different face, eyes, comb, size, feather coverage, etc..It is fun to get to know each bird.

Most breeds start to lay between 5 and 7 months. They are getting close when the combs, wattles and faces are bright red. Generally a week before they begin to lay, they will start to squat for you when you lean over them. Then you know the eggs are coming down the pipe.

The free feed method is always best....leaving food out for them all day long. If you only feed at certain times of the day, the shier birds may not get enough to eat. The more dominant birds will eat their share. Each bird has it's own requirement on food amount. Some will eat a lot and others not so much. So it is best for their health to let them decide how much they wish to eat and when.

Enjoy this new journey you are on I hope those eggs start coming soon!!! :)

2 people like this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Some people use "nipple water systems," which keeps shavings and gunk and worse out of the water. Chickens learn to use it fairly fast. If you put "nipple waterers " in the search box, hopefully some photos , etc. will show up.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

Sounds like you have a nice flock with some lovely breeds! I hope they start laying for you soon.[​IMG]

Usually, it is best to have feed available at all times for hens. They usually eat what they need.

1 person likes this.
  6. barbiec

barbiec New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Thomaston, Ga
    Thank you all sooo much for all the awesome advice

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm so happy you joined us!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Excellent advice has already been given so I'll just say welcome and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by