Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by msurber, Mar 31, 2015.

1. msurber

msurber Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Mico, Tecas
    My Coop
    I was raised on a farm/ranch greward up with ducks, geese and chickens. I recently decided to try turkeys. I want to know when do theyear loose the fuzz and how can I tell if I have hens or gobblers, they are the Bronze Broad Breasted turkeys?

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Did you get these for the freezer or to raise for eggs and poults.

Broad breasted are the butcher variety of turkey. Should be freezer ready in about 16 to 18 weeks.

3. msurber

msurber Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Mico, Tecas
    My Coop
    It really depends on how many hensand gobblers I have want to keep the hens with 1 Gobbler the other gobblers will be food.

4. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    The turkeys you wanted were heritage. Bbb are like cornish cross chickens.

Bred for fast growth to get to butcher weight quick with good feed to weight ratio.

I have not done Bbb turkeys. I have heritage varieties.

From what I have read on here of you want to keep them longer than the butcher time frame. Keep them away from corn give lots of greens and ration their food.

Bbb are prone to leg and heart problems due to rapid growth. When tom are mature they can be to big to successfully mate with s hen. Mostof this variety is procreated through a.I.

But some on here have had some mate successfully. Other breed hens back to a heritage tom that Is smaller.

Anyway welcome to turkeys. They are a blast so much better than chickens in my opinion.

5. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    Forgot to say :welcome.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience on this site.

6. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    [​IMG] Wish I could help on this subject. Now I feel like getting a few turkeys. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by