1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OurVirginiaAcre, Jun 14, 2015.

1. OurVirginiaAcre

OurVirginiaAcre New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    Hi there! I am relatively new to chickens. We got our first ones in October 2014, some full grown and two almost ready to lay pullets. We have no experience with chicks or eggs or culling. In fact, we really need to build a good coop, because we just threw something together last year.

We started with 7 birds (1 rooster and 6 hens), but two hens had silkie heritage and were too beat up on by the other birds, so we re-homed them. The rooster was a feisty little thing (Japanese bantam - LOVELY!). But he and my 6 year old didn't get along (and he could fly), so we re-homed him, too. And then one of our remaining hens suddenly died this year. She was fine one day and dead the next, but not a mark on her.

Not exactly sure what the remaining 2 white and 1 red are. They were given to us from someone who bought them at Tractor Supply. They were all clearly mixed breed, and they lay brown eggs. Some people say the white are Leghorn, but they do not look anything like Leghorns (too fat and calm) and they lay light-brown eggs. The red might be some hybrid like Red Star or Golden Comet. She also lays brown eggs, and they are a bit bigger. Between the 3 we get 1 egg nearly every day, so none are super-prolific layers.

I found this forum while looking for information on Dorking chickens. We have only an acre, and our fenced-in area is much smaller, so we are limited in what we can do. I doubt I could manage more than 15 chickens right now. But we want to fence in another portion of our yard and then help out with the breeding efforts of the Dorking. We are passionate about the need to retain foundation genetics, whether in livestock or plants, and we love everything about the Silver Gray Dorking. So hopefully a small breeding flock will be in our future, if we can find some local people to partner with.

We just aren't sure if we are going to purchase Australorps or Dorkings for our flock in the interim, because we could use the eggs to sell at market if we got Australorps, and the broodiness of the Dorkings might be too much to deal with until we actually do the planned breeding.

2. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Hi! Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! [​IMG]I personally don't have Dorking chickens. I would do some searches in the search bar of 'Dorking Chickens'. Hope you find what you are looking for!

3. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Frindizzle gave you a great link - hope you are able to find the birds you want. [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    :frow welcome to BYC !!

7. OurVirginiaAcre

OurVirginiaAcre New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    Thank you all for the welcome! I'm not great at frequenting forums. I read them once in a long while. :)

So an update... we found a Dorking breeder nearby. But we also found a Java breeder, quite by accident - a bird I had never looked at before.

We did a lot of research, and though both birds fit the bill, two things made us turn in favor of the Java instead.

The Dorking birds have mixed rooster reviews online - I see more people mentioning aggressive Dorkings than Javas. With two young children, we just can't risk an aggressive bird. The Java breeder introduced us to her birds - and I held the rooster. So docile - and huge! She calls him a gentle giant. She said out of 100 roosters she's only hatched 3 who were aggresive at all, and even then they weren't aggressive toward people. Point 1 in the Java's favor.

The Dorking breeder said her birds can jump up to 6 feet high! My fence is 5 feet in parts (welded wire) and 6 feet at the tallest (wood privacy fence). The Java breeder said she's never seen her birds jump more than a foot or two off the ground. Point 2 in the Java's favor.

And then - just when we were ready to get our birds, the Java breeder had a ton of 3 week old chicks to choose from, which was perfect for us. And I have a mix: 1 from rooster 1, 4 from rooster 2 (his son) and 3 from an unrelated rooster!

So now we are the proud owners of 8 Mottled Javas, all between 9 and 10 1/2 weeks old. I'm a little nervous - I may have 4 or 5 roosters and I'm only planning on keeping two. But as long as I have 2 pair of unrelated birds I'll be happy.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck on your breeding efforts!

9. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens ! [​IMG]
    Chickens can be like kids.