1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Members from Finleyville, PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by marialane, Jan 6, 2011.

1. marialane

marialane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    First, I'm really glad you guys are here! What from I have read so far, there is invaluable information for me and my husband to learn. Info that you don't necessarily find in the books.
    My husband and I are the proud owners of four Americauna pullets with one Cockerel. (We know, we are going to get more girls come spring)! Yea! Anyway, I, as well as my husband, did not realize that we would fall head over heels for these now pets. Our rooster, Abe, does a pretty good job thus far, however, he is going through a stage where he is demonstrating his aggression. My husband can deal with it as he has more of an alpha presence. I, on the other hand, do not! I'm working on it though as I know that if we want to keep Abe, he has to know who's the boss! Our chickens live in the bottom of our barn and free range almost daily. We are entertaining the thought of getting a guardian dog as a fox got one of the chickens a couple months ago. My research so far points to the Great Pyrenees. We also have German Shepherd breeder that swears her line of dogs could do the job just as well!

Any suggestions about which kind of dog to get to watch the chickens?

Anyway, thanks for being here for us as we learn and make mistakes and learn from them!

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Michigan!

3. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

4. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Welcome

I have Great Pyrs as livestock guardian dogs and highly recomend them. Even if you were to chose another breed I would stay away from German Shepards. The hip problems alone are enough to disuade one. There are other guardian dogs and herding breeds that can do more and with less chance of health problems. I am an A.K.C. judge and I see the problems even in the most well breed GSD's.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

There's been lots of people from PA joining this week.

Nice!

6. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Luckytaz