New Members - Mesa Arizona

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RiNkY, Mar 18, 2013.

1. RiNkY

RiNkY New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    We've thrown around the idea of keeping Chickens now for a few years, but have always been concerned about the heat here in Arizona. So with some ideas in mind for ventilation fans and building the coop in a well shaded part of our large 75ft x 50ft back yard, we've finally decided to start building a coop.

I'm going to be looking at all of the plans and photos here from other DIY builders and using 2x4 Construction, along with whatever siding materials I can get cheaply. Then painting the exterior white to reflect a much sun as possible, and researching good roofing materials to keep it cool.

We plan on keeping chickens for the eggs rather than meat, not that I am opposed to slaughtering if needed - but that would definitely be something new for me. We have plenty of friends and family nearby to supply with eggs if the production from 3 or 4 birds is more than we can keep up with, we will be using the forums here to also research heat hardy breeds that are good layers.

We have 2 young girls - aged 9 and 2 and hopefully we can teach them to help look after the chickens and help with cleaning and egg collection. I think it will be very rewarding for the family. Some of my first memories as a child in the UK was running around inside my grandmothers huge chicken coop and collecting the eggs, plus being chased by the rooster - so hopefully our children will also have these memories of keeping our own chooks.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, RiNkY, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Good luck to you and your flock!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Check out the Arizona thread for tips on keeping chickens in your environment - welcome to BYC.

7. RiNkY

RiNkY New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    At 3500 pages, the Arizona Thread is pretty much useless without having hundreds of hours to read through all of it! lol. What someone needs to do is consolodate the Hot Weather / Arizona chicken stuff into a more informational thread for noobs :)

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by