New Memeber

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sus, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Sus

Sus New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    Hi Everyone:frow

I am so Happy to find you!!
    We have just recieved our little peeps and they are now 4 days old and peeping as I write.[​IMG]
    Yes, they are here in the kitchen with me,ggg:jumpy It was love at first sight:love
    My Hubby and I live on 1 1/2 acres near Kingston, Ontario.
    Keeping us company here on our little acre are 6 dogs, several canaries(now busy raising young) a couple of little baby budgies and now 13, 4 day old Rhode Island Reds.
    My Hubby is partly retired, working only 3 days per week and I....drive school bus.
    We did hobby farm many years ago so it's natural for us to return to our roots, and peeps are part of that!
    We are home body types and enjoy our animals/birds both tame and wild. Have gardens both veggie and flower....which we are always working to expand. Our kids think we're nuts but happy nuts:lau and the grandkids have a fun adventure when they visit.
    We are enjoying learning about chickens in our back yard again. Busy getting a coop/run ready for our little peeps.
    Better to be busy than sit about getting old,eh?? If getting old...add all the adventures/new experience one can!! We love having life of all types around us.

I do have a question for you and appreciate your help:bow
    Since raising finch/canary babes I'm used to making up a salad for them of grated carrot/broccoli buds/quinoa/sprouted seeds/hemp seed/ground flax seed etc plus lettuce/dandilion.
    So......can this mix be fed to the peeps???
    How old are they before I can give them lettuce or grass/dandilion???
    They are on chick starter and I give them a bit of oatmeal flakes as a little treat which they just devour!

I look fwd to hearing from you and learning all we can about chickens in our backyard!
    We heard about you when reading some chicken books and found you on line thru a link.....so happy we did:celebrate

Until later
    Sus

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Pride, La.

I would wait till their a few weeks. Make sure you get them some chick grit when you do!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Welcome. [​IMG] The chicks can eat anything your other birds can, just make sure you provide grit before giving treats.

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]
    FYI. spaces are neede for the smilies to show up. [​IMG]

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

7. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

8. Sus

Sus New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    Good Morning

Thank you for the welcome!
    Thank you also for your help. I'll wait awhile before I give them anything else and be sure to offer grit.
    I picked up a bag when I picked them up at the feed store so I'd be prepared......not that the coop is ready just yet but I've got the feed/grit/bedding ready!!gg
    Is that a poodle I see at Weimarmama in Alabama???
    We just rescued a blue stantard poodlen not that she's attached to any of us just yet. Lots of energy!! [​IMG]
    Found a spot not too far from home we can get unusual breed chicks. [​IMG]
    Hoping to add some Ameraucana to our little flock.
    I like the idea of tame/friendly feather babes that can handle the cold.
    Anyone have these?? How do you like them???

May I ask.....how do you keep your water from freezing during the winter months???

Have a wonderful day everyone
    Working on the coop here today [​IMG]
    trying smiles again, thanks for your help...but not sure their working for me yet.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. leslierf

leslierf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Tucson area
    Welcome to the chicken house![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by