new memeber

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MRBIRD, Sep 28, 2011.

1. MRBIRD

MRBIRD Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Charleston S.C.
    I hope this is correct. The right place to post that is.

I have never raised or taken care of chickens. My wife used to have chickens, in the country, but not here in the suburbs of west ashley south carolina.

She hastily purchased 7, 3 day old chicks, without telling me until the morning we picked them up.I scrambled and managed to build a very good brooder, if I do say so myself.

This all took place one month ago. I uploaded a photo of the flock roosting on the front of the brooder.I have no idea where the photo is or if anyone can see it.[​IMG]

They all spent their first night in the coop not the brooder.The next morning as I opened the coop door I was literally overrun by my flock as they came out to do chicken stuff,in their enclosed outdoor pen, also well made. [​IMG] No predator problem so far.

Here comes the newbie questions.
    Can you tell if a chick is male or female at one month ? And if you can how do you?
    When do you switch to laying food?

Hope this works. just press the submit.................(fingers crossed)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Well, you posted properly because I can see it! You would be better served by posting your questions in the CHICKEN BEHAVIOUR AND EGGLAYING section and the RAISING CHICKS section. I am no expert at sexing chicks. I am sure you will find help with that. Switching feed depends some on the breed, but 16-20 weeks old is a good bet.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. If you see comb and wattles growing a little faster than the other chicks, I'd be suspicious that it might be a cockeral...never know for sure though. Feed your chicks starter/grower feed til about 18-20 weeks old, then switch to layer feed.
    I was stationed in Charleston in the mid to late 80's, went through Hugo. Ugh!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, MRBIRD and [​IMG]. Nothing like jumping in with both feet, eh? Best of of luck with your flock!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

[​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

7. Nmarine1057

Nmarine1057 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Hi and [​IMG] from Mississippi

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. Glad you are here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by