New method, journey with me. (Day two)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KinderKorner, Apr 8, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    After my last batch so terribly failed I sought out help from the kind people on here. And they told me my chicks probably drown because the instructions aren't usually right, and also that I opened it too much.

Well I purchased a Hydrometer at walmart for $6, and now I'm ready to start over.

I turned on my incubator, and left it sit for a day untouched, with no water in it and at my last temperature. It turned out, it was 99 degrees, and 35-45% humidity WITHOUT any water! So filling up the trays of water at the botton would of surely raised it to nearly 100%. Thank you for your advice. I am now only keeping a damp papertowl which I can wet with a straw, and for two days without eggs it's kept at 50% humdity. I also wanted to prevent opening the bator. So I found some really cool egg cartons that hold 30 eggs. That are just barely indented so it just easily hold them in without sides. I am going to open the bator briefly to let in air once a week or so to rotate carton because I have a still air. I am putting a wedge on one side of the outside of the bator and switching it 3 times a day, so I don't need to open it.

I really hope for a better hatch rate. So I am going to try out this new method and see what happens. I've heard both good and bad things about using egg carton, but I'm going to run this test and see if it really works! I will update it as time goes on. And report my progress. Any advice or comments is great.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Songster

Feb 26, 2009
    Love that you are trying to take a studied approach and incorporate best known methods. Keep us posted!

3. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I just saw what my problems were, and came up with some ideas for solutions. I am learning, and hope that my experience and test can be information for others. [​IMG]

4. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    It's now day two. Unfortunetly the temps are going up and down a little bit. I'm trying to get them to level out. But the humidity is staying pretty good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by