New Mexico

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by AmberH, Jul 7, 2010.

1. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    So, I'm going to New Mexico on the 10th. It'll be my first time there and my first time that far west. MapQuest says it is 1236.31 miles one way. Originally my mom and I were going to drive. That's like an 18.5 hour drive... Yeah. We just bought the tickets tonight. I'm excited. We're going to see my grandpa. He comes here once or twice a year and that's all I get to see him. He is or was a park ranger in the Jemez mountain area. He lives in Tijeras, NM. My grandpa is so excited! He has so much planned for us. He said he's going to take us to several different hot springs and take us to areas of the mountains that most tourists don't see. We're also going to different ruins. That's right up my ally. [​IMG]

Anyone in the area? Know of anything else exciting to do?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I drove through Tijeras twice on a trip back east (and back) Lots of juniper and cedars there. Great elevation... it's gotta be over 6,000 feet so it shouldn't get too warm.

I often thought it would be nice to own a cabin there or in the surrounding mountains if you can find water.

So you are flying from Indy to Albuquerque?

3. AmberH

Apr 21, 2010
    Yes we are going from Indianapolis to Albuquerque. It's supposed to be a 5 and a half hour flight. This will be my second time flying... and the first wasn't that pleasant. I'm nervous about the flight but excited too.

4. br64

br64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Well, if you like to explore there's always El Morro ( also called Inscription Rock) and the Banderas ice caves and volcano.

El Morro

Has petrographs and inscriptions ( some of the earliest inscriptions date back to the 1600's), there's also two trails, one is around 1/2 mile the other is about 2 miles and a bit of a hike but it takes you up to the top of El Morro where theres an ancent ruin and you can literaly see for miles. I've been there several times, If you go be sure to take plenty of water with you, it's been pretty warm here lately.

Banderas Ice Cave and Volcano

Not too far from El Morro, There's a trail that takes you to the top of the volcano, I've only been there once ( maybe about 20 years ago) but if I remember correctly, it's a fairly steep trail. The ice caves didn't impress me much but thats me.

If your interested let me know and I'll hunt down the phone numbers for El Morro and Banderas.

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

We're planning a road trip out to NM in September! driving is about 2,200 miles... We like to see Carlsbad Caverns down south, and the natural history museum down in albuquerque, and santa fe is gorgeous. Have fun!!!

6. AmberH

Apr 21, 2010
    Br64, those places sound amazing! I'm doing more research on them right now.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm getting excited. I guess I just now realized that I'm leaving in 2 days. We have a 7:15 pm flight. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. bantamamba

bantamamba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Have lots of fun!

I was born in Santa Fe and have spent quite a lot of time in Taos and playing around in the mountains near there. NM is a beautiful (and at times creepy) state. I love it. [​IMG]

Don't get eaten by any chupacabras.

8. AmberH

Apr 21, 2010
    Oooh! I hope I get to meet a chupacabra! We are camping in the mountains for two days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by