New Milford, NJ

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by JeffreyDV, Nov 29, 2011.

1. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    Currently the keeping of poultry in New Milford, NJ is prohibited. I have 6 hens myself since May of this year. In September I received a violation notice from the board of health. I spoke to the health inspector and told her I intend to try to get the ordinance changed and she is allowing me to keep the chickens until the issue is resolved. I contacted the local Patch and they wrote an article about my chickens and other things my family is doing to lead a green lifestyle. I sent a letter to the mayor and council regarding the chickens and attended a recent meeting to discuss the issue. At the meeting I was informed that this ordinance was a board of health ordinance and that I need to discuss the matter with them. I sent a letter of intention to the health department and plan to attend their next meeting on December 7. Please wish me luck. Thanks. Jeff.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] Hope it goes well [​IMG]

3. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    I presented my case to the Board of Health in December and got my answer on Tuesday, request denied. I plan to continue pursuing this by all means possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by