New Mille Fleur Bantam Cochin Chick.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by La Unica Farms, May 24, 2010.

1. La Unica Farms

La Unica Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    backswamp NC
    This chick hatched out two nights ago. He looked a little interesting when I first saw him but he was still wet so it was hard to see much. My husband pulled him out of the incubator and moved him to the brooder lastnight and I never got to see him. I was really surprised when I walked into the brooder room today and saw this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This chick is out of my blue Cochin hen, Isabella, and my MF Cochin roo, Ben. I have no idea what it is going to end up looking like but I really can't wait to find out.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks.

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    it's cute! according to the chicken calculator you should only get blues or blacks but that doesn't take into acct recessive genes obviously. I'm really curious to see how he feathers out!

3. La Unica Farms

Jan 18, 2009
    backswamp NC
    Thanks for the response. I can't wait to see how he turns out either. I have played around with one Chicken color calculator that someone posted but it was in German ( I think ) and I couldn't understand any of it.
    Does anyone know what the odds are that this will turn out to be a blue MF Cochin? I would imagine my chances are slim to none but it is definitely exciting to think about.

I can't find my pictures of the Roo that created this chick but I do have a picture of his "twin" brother, Le Fleur. I hatched both Roos from eggs I got from Lynne.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have pictures of the hen around here somewhere. I will have to see if I can dig them up.

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Wow! I really don't like the Mille Fleur color, but that roo is gorgeous! [​IMG]

Cute chick too - I'd love to see what color it turns out to be, so please post pictures when the little bugger grows up!

5. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Well it could be if your blue has a recessive mottled gene.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  6. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I just played with the chicken calculator again and it looks like your little guy/girl may be a blue mottled IF your hen has a recessive mottled gene. [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yeah, I am getting a good many hatching out like that now that I have added the 2 new roos. The older chicks have molted out to being white with black wing feathers, tail feathers and I bet they will have black hackles. I do not have any blue in my birds unless it comes from these 2 new roos.
    This is a photo of the messy boy growing up and he was marked like your chick. They can still change a lot though.

[​IMG]

8. La Unica Farms

Jan 18, 2009
    backswamp NC
    Thank you for all of the responses guys. I checked my little peeper today and he already has wing feathers starting to come in. From what I can see right now, they are "banded" like a typical MF chick but they are blue, dark blue, and white. I tried to take pictures of the new feathers but the light in the brooder room washed him out too much and it was too cold outside to try taking pictures in natural light. I will see if I can get some tomorrow. I have another batch of eggs from the same pen that will be coming off the turner in another week. I can't wait to see if any more chicks hatch out like this little guy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Nadine - do you have any photos of your chick from when he was a few days old? Also, do you have anymore photos of your chick now? I would just like to see more pictures so that I can compare. I hope to take pictures of my little guy every couple of days so that I can chart how he changes and progresses.

9. La Unica Farms

Jan 18, 2009
    backswamp NC
    I finally found a picture of my sweet Isabella, mother to this little chick.

[​IMG]

10. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    are you sure she's blue? She almost looks lavender to me but I can't tell if it's the lighting or not. She's pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by