New Mini Coop - in progress - pix

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NellaBean, Sep 9, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I decided to start a new coop this week to make room for a small breeding flock of bantam cochins.

Actually started this a few weeks ago by making a 4' square frame.

(here it is modeling my hanging bucket feeders ha ha)

[​IMG]

I then made 4x4 wall panels using plywood, hardware cloth for the windows and some leftover 1x3 for the window frames. Hardware cloth was cut to size, stapled on and then the frame screwed over it.

[​IMG]

I made the two side walls and the front wall with pop door opening at the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear wall will be mostly a large door for people access to refill food and water and chest nestboxes.

I will be making a double nestbox unit, at least one roost pole and will mount hangers for the feeder and water.

The roof will probably be white pvc panels over a wooden frame.

I have made fencing panels previously to use as temporary pens. They are 8 feet long and 3 feet tall. I have 5 of these, and 2 that are only 4 feet long. I will be using these to make either a 4x8 or 8x8 pen for this little coop.

Here they are configured to make four 4x4 pens (for a chicken swap)

[​IMG]

It took about a half hour to make the frame a few weeks ago...and last night I spent about 2 hours making the walls. I expect to take another couple hours to make the back wall and door and to frame out the front pop door, install the track for the pop door and get it all together. I hate (haaaaaaate) doing the roof, so that will probably take another hour or two. The pen panels are already build, so I think this will be a relatively easy approx 8 hour build. I expect it will cost between $80-100 once completed.

I will post more pix as I progress.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Wow - what an inspiration!!

[​IMG]

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Great job!!! Can't wait to see more.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation