New mini rex bunnies are here

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mamato3, Mar 24, 2009.

1. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    So i had been thinking of breeding mini rex for about a month know. Well i talked to my sis last week about getting me some. After i talked to her i could not get a hold of her agian tell she got home last night. She pulled in the driveway honking her horn told me she had a box for me. There is a beautiful Tri buck and a pretty broken black doe 7 wks old. Now to think of names. I was thinking of naming them something from valentine day like cupid and rose. since they were born in Feb or Maybe an Easter name like cadberry or whatever those easter eggs are called ive even thought about naming the buck fools gold being this close to April fools day. Anyway they have a pedgree with them so i can trace them back 4 generations.
    [​IMG]
    the doe
    [​IMG]
    the buck

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow I love the tri color! I've always wanted some rex rabbits, but haven't gotten any...yet! I may be able to sneak in another rabbit this summer since my jersey wooly died over the winter. He was a pretty old boy and I really miss him!

3. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful rabbits! I love em both. I would say if you have kids that are old enough to have them show them in 4H shows.

4. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Very Pretty Rexs! Beautiful coloring.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Pretty! Are they siblings?

6. mamato3

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    herbandteas my oldest is 4 will be 5 this summer so we will have to wait i thought about seeing if i could show the buck myself at the local rabbit show not sure if i can or not. The doe does not have the full nose covering like they want so i dont think she is showable.

coffeemama No there not siblings they are related from past breedings i see the great grandma was the same and there granda was the same. There is lots of broken black and tri coloring on ether side so i should get lots of both colors.

7. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you really sell your kits that young? I thought most sold at the age of 8 weeks on up. When you were talking about the nose is the fur missing on the nose?

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:She needs to have her whole nose colored to place well in a show. They could even DQ (disqualify) her if she doesn't.

They are very pretty. My daughters each have one and the oldest showed hers in open show this last fall at the fair. I would think if your local fair has open show for rabbits you should be able to show them. There were kids as young as 4 showing in ours-the parents were allowed to bring the rabbits out to the table and stand behind their child in case the rabbit got away from them and to take them back inside to the cages.

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:If you breed them together, you will get some charlie's, but they are fine to sell as pets, or use a buck for your breeding program to solid does. As for the nose markings, the pattern only constitutes 5 points/100. Broken patterned MR must have either a butterfly or balanced nose spots, colored eye markings and color on both ears. So if she has neither on the nose, she can still place if her body type and fur are better than other animals-as long as she has color on her nose of some sort.

10. mamato3

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    Quote:No her fur is there not the color as what farmer kitty said got to have coloring on there nose. I start to advertise them at 4 wk but mostly they will be 5 wks they wean from there mom at 4 wks. There eating on there own and driving mom nuts so its time to move them out and give mom a break before rebreeding. I wont sell the Mini rexs that young at the earliest 7 wks. The New zealand are here for meat so thats there schedule. They came from a commercial line and thats how it was done from the place i got them from. The one difference is i wait tell the babies are 5 to 6 weeks to rebreed mostly commercial breeders rebreed at 2 wks to 4 wks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by