1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Minneapolis Chicken Family

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by clindmn, Feb 25, 2016.

1. clindmn

clindmn New Egg

Feb 25, 2016
    Hello Chicken Lovers,
    We are hoping to get hens in our backyard. We were wondering if people have suggestions for coop designs for about 5 chickens in an urban backyard. Also with Minnesota weather, will a heated water dispenser be able to keep the water thawed if we keep it in the run?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and a warm welcome to BYC - glad to have you onboard.

The Learning Centre is a good place to start for all things chicken, but right now, the Coop section (just next to the Forum box) should give you an idea of what people have done in terms of coop design - the variety is mind boggling, but very interesting and inspiring. I live in Kenya so we don't do cold weather (thank goodness) so maybe other members will be able to advise. Again, if you look in the Learning Centre or type something like "preventing water from freezing" in the search box you should get some results that will help out. Similarly, if you join your state thread (type your state in the search box) it will put you in contact with other members local to you who will be happy to share their experience on coop design, among other things.

All the best
    CT

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run. Good luck with your future girls. Here a link for some coops.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think you would get the most accurate information if you post on your state thread. Just put "Minnesota," in the search box. Off hand I would think a heated waterer outdoors, couldn't handle serious cold.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by