New mom, hatched chicks

momto35chicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
billings
Our leghorn was found last Sunday outside with a clutch of 18 eggs. It's fall in montana so we very carefully moved mom, nest, and eggs inside. 12 hatched then mom quit sitting on the other eggs. One was born with NO eyes. Mom is doing an amazing job with the 11 chicks. But were going onto winter.
1. I have them in a separate coop till they're older. Do they need s heat lamp if mom is with them.
2. Do I feed mom chock starter also?
3. Mom a fee times a day flies out of the chick area, poops then comes back, why?
Mom has taught the chicks to scratch around for food so we've been putting the chick starter on the ground, is that Ok?
Will mom eventually leave them?
This was a complete surprise, and kids are happy but that pushes us up to over 150 chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I just love to hear stories about "non broody" breeds having and raising clutches! :love Is she a white leghorn?

They do not need a lamp, mama will keep them warm.

Yes, mama can eat the chick starter and she will like it. I prefer non medicated.

She goes out to do her business so she isn't pooing in the nest where she is raising babies. Imagine the mess if she poo'd in there with those nasty broody poos. :sick Nothing would have hatched if they poo in the nest. As soon as the babies are able to make it out, she will take them with her. Leaving the unhatched eggs was the right thing for her to do.

Since the chicks poo on the ground, it would be better to feed them from a dish. They will figure that out and still scratch around for the shrapnel anyways. :)

Yes, mom will eventually leave them. It varies between 4-9 weeks for my birds. They start adventuring wider without her for longer periods of time. And as she get's ready to return to lay she will start pecking them to tell them it's time to do their own thing.

Congratulations! :pop

Mom will keep chicks warm and she can eat chick starter too. She isn't laying while caring for chicks so no need for added calcium of layer feed at this time. She is going out to use bathroom to try keep everything clean and tidy in nest. It is ok to put a bit of starter on ground to encourage foraging but maintain a feeder with food don't put it all on ground.

Hi! Welcome to BYC! Let me see if I can help you out with your questions:

First: No you don't need a heat lamp. Mama Chicken will provide all the heat needed.

Second: The mom will happily eat the starter feed as well! I use medicated chick starter feed and that works well. However, if your chickens are vaccinated for coccidiosis, the medicated feed can actually render the vaccination ineffective.

Third: She may be leaving the chick area to poop so she can keep the area for her babies as clean as possible.

Fourth: You can of course sprinkle the feed on the ground to encourage foraging. However, I would also advise that you keep a feeder full nearby, so that you are assuring they are getting enough food.

Lastly: The mom will leave the chicks when she feels they are old enough to keep themselves warm and sustain themselves. If she leaves them earlier than 6 weeks though, I would suggest setting up a brooder; Just to be safe.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

And update. Everyone is doing well. Our chick that was born with no eyes, we let it die. It had a crooked beak also and couldn't eat. It was heartbreaking for myself and our girls. It's cute at night the 11 chicks are still all trying to sleep under and next to mom. I do have them in a separate coop than all our chickens so I am watching for signs she's ready to go home.

And update. Everyone is doing well. Our chick that was born with no eyes, we let it die. It had a crooked beak also and couldn't eat. It was heartbreaking for myself and our girls. It's cute at night the 11 chicks are still all trying to sleep under and next to mom. I do have them in a separate coop than all our chickens so I am watching for signs she's ready to go home.
Sorry for your loss, you did the right thing... I KNOW it was difficult. :hugs

How old are they now? My hens raise their chicks in the flock so they are all integrated before she weans them.

Pics?! ;) :pop

We live in montana and mom will move back but I'm hesitant with the chicks as it's getting in the 20s at night and our hear lamps don't go on until the coop is below 20.
This is our first time hatching chicks so I'm winging it

Mama will keep them warm...best if she has a nest or box or something they will all fit in.
I let a broody hatch in Feb here...single digits temps.

Back
Top Bottom