New mom, hatched chicks

What about the other chickens? Some sleep in the nesting boxes but the rest are on our roots.
Put the nest she hatched in on the floor of the coop, mama will sleep there with the chicks until they get older and will teach them to roost.

Not sure why you have bird sleeping in the nests, that's another issue.

Also I keep chicks separate till 16 weeks when we've bought them so they eat chick feed until then for the protein
It's really easier to let mama integrate the chicks instead of waiting until the chicks are older. The whole flock can eat an all flock and provide oyster shell for the layers.

I allowed my broody hen to hatch ONE egg to break her. Only one because she is only 7 months old and I wasn’t sure how long her broody spell would last and I didn’t want to be heartbroken for the loss if the chick didn’t make it... well, we have a sweet fluff nugget!!!:love It is a cuckoo maran/silkie mix and is adorable!
It dips into the 30’s/20’s here at night, I moved the chick and Mom to the coop floor in a bin with a door cut out so they can move about. Will they get too cold or will they be ok??? I covered the cut out door with a towel as well to keep wind out.
And I’m keeping them with the rest of the flock of 4 other hens and a rooster... will it be ok?? I worry but not enough to fully seperate and deal with that stress lol!

Attachments

• 1FB67C16-0618-4226-B77B-6F81B3B8FC70.jpeg
    1FB67C16-0618-4226-B77B-6F81B3B8FC70.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 7
  • CF1CD2EA-53F3-4126-A08E-F93DD5938DE5.jpeg
    CF1CD2EA-53F3-4126-A08E-F93DD5938DE5.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 6BCF7178-3391-4BBB-9B60-2B12563F8352.jpeg
    6BCF7178-3391-4BBB-9B60-2B12563F8352.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 6
I allowed my broody hen to hatch ONE egg to break her. Only one because she is only 7 months old and I wasn’t sure how long her broody spell would last and I didn’t want to be heartbroken for the loss if the chick didn’t make it... well, we have a sweet fluff nugget!!!:love It is a cuckoo maran/silkie mix and is adorable!
It dips into the 30’s/20’s here at night, I moved the chick and Mom to the coop floor in a bin with a door cut out so they can move about. Will they get too cold or will they be ok??? I covered the cut out door with a towel as well to keep wind out.
And I’m keeping them with the rest of the flock of 4 other hens and a rooster... will it be ok?? I worry but not enough to fully seperate and deal with that stress lol!
Well, that doesn't count as breaking her IMO. You still let an immature bird set for 3+ weeks and lose condition. Doesn't matter whether 1 egg or many. setting to hatch is setting to hatch even if nothing hatches. Luckily for her something did or she would continue to sit until she either gave up or you put her in the breaker. It is a MUCH more fun option than the breaker for us and the broody's are perfectly happy doing what they feel the urge to do! :D

That being said, your baby is beautiful! :celebrate :love

If it was pure Silkie I would say cockerel right now because of the comb. :oops: But it's a mix and those can be way harder to tell. In theory, the cross could be sexed by a white spot on the head when you cross barred/cuckoo female to a solid dark color male, the hen passes a double dose of the barring to male offspring. But your girls bars don't look super distinct like my Rocks'. I haven't tried yet with my own stock so no true experience. I am just sharing this as fun info. I don't mean to say oh your bird doesn't have enough stripes or anything ugly like that by that comment.

Lovely birds! Thanks for sharing. :love

Well, that doesn't count as breaking her IMO. You still let an immature bird set for 3+ weeks and lose condition. Doesn't matter whether 1 egg or many. setting to hatch is setting to hatch even if nothing hatches. Luckily for her something did or she would continue to sit until she either gave up or you put her in the breaker. It is a MUCH more fun option than the breaker for us and the broody's are perfectly happy doing what they feel the urge to do! :D

That being said, your baby is beautiful! :celebrate :love

If it was pure Silkie I would say cockerel right now because of the comb. :oops: But it's a mix and those can be way harder to tell. In theory, the cross could be sexed by a white spot on the head when you cross barred/cuckoo female to a solid dark color male, the hen passes a double dose of the barring to male offspring. But your girls bars don't look super distinct like my Rocks'. I haven't tried yet with my own stock so no true experience. I am just sharing this as fun info. I don't mean to say oh your bird doesn't have enough stripes or anything ugly like that by that comment.

Lovely birds! Thanks for sharing. :love

Trust me, I’m obsessed with my babies and she surely did not lose condition, she was off the nest daily for breaks, food,water and for extra snacks for her efforts!
Silkies are VERY hard to sex... I have a 6 month old one that still hasn’t crowed or laid an egg so it continues on as my mystery bird!!
Yes mamas coloring isn’t as distinct as barred rocks since she is a cuckoo maran it’s not as distinct. But she is one fierce mama and a great laying hen!
Thanks for all the info, I love this new cute addition!

Silkies are VERY hard to sex
Harder than some breeds, yes. Especially if you don't have both genders for comparison. But not that hard. :oops: Many of mine can be sexed correctly by 8-12 weeks. With very few late blooming males (even then they are fairly clear) and only females that don't show their truth until that late. Of course, I see something new everyday though!

If what you say is true, then you likely have a female.... Please, post a pic so we can admire her beauty to! ;)

Harder than some breeds, yes. Especially if you don't have both genders for comparison. But not that hard. :oops: Many of mine can be sexed correctly by 8-12 weeks. With very few late blooming males (even then they are fairly clear) and only females that don't show their truth until that late. Of course, I see something new everyday though!

If what you say is true, then you likely have a female.... Please, post a pic so we can admire her beauty to! ;)
If you can tell then by all means give her a go!!! This is “Clementine” and she’s beautiful buff color BUT my least friendly all all my birds (a roo silkie, the cuckoo maran, a speckled Sussex, amercauna splash, and an Easter Egger)... Whatcha think?!

Attachments

• 852CC852-C32C-495C-A8C3-BA9C6E3CCB9A.jpeg
    852CC852-C32C-495C-A8C3-BA9C6E3CCB9A.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 5
  • F7B6BDAE-BE7B-4BDB-9F95-BCC501817B8A.jpeg
    F7B6BDAE-BE7B-4BDB-9F95-BCC501817B8A.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 5
  • CBB400C8-DB0C-4947-B4FF-23E0EF664966.jpeg
    CBB400C8-DB0C-4947-B4FF-23E0EF664966.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 5
  • DA6C6E78-DD0E-4D19-AE9E-73117ED1F8D9.jpeg
    DA6C6E78-DD0E-4D19-AE9E-73117ED1F8D9.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 5
If you can tell then by all means give her a go!!! This is “Clementine” and she’s beautiful buff color BUT my least friendly all all my birds (a roo silkie, the cuckoo maran, a speckled Sussex, amercauna splash, and an Easter Egger)... Whatcha think?!
That's gotta be a hen! That's why I say only late blooming females because they were so mean I was SURE they were male. :eek:

She is non bearded and so her waddles are more obvious than they would be on a bearded girl. Which means her lobes are shining so beautifully too! And her comb is virtually non existent. And neither the comb or waddles have the red I would expect to see in a boy. I could be wrong but I really think female. Clementine is nice name! Females tend to develop a little slower than their male counterparts (especially this time of year with diminished daylight). I would be surprised if she doesn't one day lay you an egg. Please tag my name or quote me if you find out I'm wrong! I'm here to learn and gain experience. :thumbsup

You got great shots already. :love But can you get some standing side profile shots. And by 6 months, do you mean about 24 weeks?

That's gotta be a hen! That's why I say only late blooming females because they were so mean I was SURE they were male. :eek:

She is non bearded and so her waddles are more obvious than they would be on a bearded girl. Which means her lobes are shining so beautifully too! And her comb is virtually non existent. And neither the comb or waddles have the red I would expect to see in a boy. I could be wrong but I really think female. Clementine is nice name! Females tend to develop a little slower than their male counterparts (especially this time of year with diminished daylight). I would be surprised if she doesn't one day lay you an egg. Please tag my name or quote me if you find out I'm wrong! I'm here to learn and gain experience. :thumbsup

You got great shots already. :love But can you get some standing side profile shots. And by 6 months, do you mean about 24 weeks?
Awhhhh my roo is the sweetest! He’s my favorite (don’t tell the others) and loves cuddles.
She is non bearded and one waddle is larger than the other!! So strange. I will surely let you know! I’m glad you like the name... she’s very cute and wish she liked being held lol.
I took a few more pics this evening so they are here... she will be exactly 6 months in about one week! So 23 weeks right about now :)

Attachments

• 781B7458-8093-4FE8-A764-B02CFDE0116A.jpeg
    781B7458-8093-4FE8-A764-B02CFDE0116A.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 6
  • C0AF60BB-0218-4123-9222-47D57CA4B12B.jpeg
    C0AF60BB-0218-4123-9222-47D57CA4B12B.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 0879EA8A-DFA2-41B1-B888-E15F889B31EE.jpeg
    0879EA8A-DFA2-41B1-B888-E15F889B31EE.jpeg
    559.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom