New mom of 4 unknown type of chickens- From Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Janie1972, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Janie1972

Janie1972 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Hi, my name is Janie and I am brand new to chickens. I just acquired 4 from an individual on Craigs list. She was real nice and said her classroom hatched a bunch of chicks and at three weeks, she needed to get rid of them. They are 4 weeks now and I have no idea what breed they are. They seem fairly large for 4 weeks and the two black ones have a green tint to their feathers. The brownish ones are very pretty and they are mottled brown and white. Both kinds have feathers going down their legs already. I wish I could upload pictures, I will try soon. My husband and I built a really cool chicken tractor that we have them in. We have not completed the box and they seem fine bedding down in the grass. They seem to love the chicken tractor but I get them out a little bit every day.
    A friend told me about backyardchickens.com and I love it! I am a working mom of 3 kids: 19, 16 and 4. Married for 19 years and love my job as a dispatcher.
    I also have a Westie, 2 cats and a fish.
    I would love some help figuring out what kind of chickens I have. I also don't know what sex they are either. I am really hoping they are not all males!!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. It sounds like you may have some cochins on your hands. When you post your pics. Do it under the What breed/Gender section. You will get more help there. [​IMG]

3. sallihennipenni

sallihennipenni Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Hi Janie!

Welcome to BYC. I'm new here too. Sounds like you're off to a good start with your chicks. You'll be amazed at how fast they grow. Mine are 9 weeks now and look nearly as big as full grown hens! I can't help you with determining what breed of chicks you have based on your description, but once you figure out how to upload a couple of pictures I'm sure there are plenty of people on this site that CAN help you.

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

[​IMG] from the Thumb! [​IMG] I agree...sounds like you have some Cochins. They're a very sweet breed. [​IMG]

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG] You can't post pictures until you have a certain number of post on this site. I don't know how many post you need but, any comments you make go towards your number. So, if you see a new member say "Hi" or introduce yourself or ask other questions if you have them in the post and soon you will be able to post your pictures.

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

8. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Sounds like cochins, very friendly sweet chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by