New mom questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by donnachick, May 2, 2008.

1. donnachick

donnachick New Egg

I have 4 of the cutest chicks-hatched on Monday and arrived here Tuesday afternoon. Right now I have paper towels down over pine shavings, and I am wondering when I should take out the paper towels and just let them be in the litter. Sometimes they pull the towels back around the edges and have great fun pecking at the shavings, but I am afraid one will eat some and choke. I never would have attempted this whole backyard chicken thing if I hadn't found this website--you are all so helpful! I spent a month reading posts before I ordered my chicks![​IMG]

2. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    Everyone has a different opinion on this but, I wait a week before I put them on the shavings. Sounds like you are being careful to do everything right. Do you love having them?

3. donnachick

donnachick New Egg

Love having them, even if all my friends and neighbors think I'm nuts!

4. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    My six day olds came yesterday, I removed the paper towels last night. I only used them to keep the scattered chick feed on till they started using the feeder. Once they were chomping down, I cleaned up the towels and they spent the night playing and happy on shavings. So much easier and cleaner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by