New mom Silkie Chicks

1Chickymom

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
I am about to get a couple of Silkie Chicks. They are starting in the house. I have seen videos with Silkies living in the house, sleeping in bed, etc. Can they be potty trained? I would love to keep my babies in the house, letting them out to play sometimes. Would love to know!

I've never tried it because I can not imagine how the chick would feel about never going outside, they love to scratch and peck, and they love to stop and listen to the other natural birds and jump for bugs that are flying. So if you keep them inside but let them outside and it is a bit wet Silkies have such feathery feet that when they came back in with all those wet muddy feathers it would be a dirty muddy mess in your home. I kept most of my babies in the house for a few weeks in a box and beyond the smell, it is almost impossible to clean that poop off if it has dried, almost like super glue. I do know a lady who keeps her door open and lets the chickens run in and out- and jump all over the table..she is happy- and should do what she wants because it is her houe...but I would not want to eat at her home.

I am about to get a couple of Silkie Chicks. They are starting in the house. I have seen videos with Silkies living in the house, sleeping in bed, etc. Can they be potty trained? I would love to keep my babies in the house, letting them out to play sometimes. Would love to know!
Please don’t take this as offense but, Do you own chickens?? I would not keep a silkie or standard hen in my house. Super messy and smelly. Some people use those chicken diapers, but they are not meant to live indoors. They need to be a chicken and live like a chicken. My silkie loves being out doors

I have no intention of leaving the chicken in the house 24/7, nor put them out in the rain. I have had Silkies before and getting them soon, 2 of them, as chicks. Definitely starting in the house, they will have inside and outside areas. I am getting plenty of criticism, but I am looking for help! I have been researching them a lot. And I continue to research. I am not walking into this blindly.

Back
Top Bottom