New Mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pawsfoot, Aug 5, 2014.

1. pawsfoot

pawsfoot Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Hi there.
    I have posted in the other areas of the forum, but I figured that I would introduce myself. My husband and I just purchased 4 baby chicks this past Saturday from a Tractor Supply type of store here in Florida. We have been discussing getting chickens for over a year now, but we had an elderly Australian Cattle Dog that was somewhat neurotic. We were afraid it would drive her nuts not to be able to herd the baby chicks. Well she passed away a month or so ago and when we saw the baby chicks we decided to get some. We already had everything for the brooder so all we had to do was a quick set up and buy some food and the actual bulb for the heat lamp.
    Anyway we picked up 2 RIR and 2 Americauna, hopefully all pullets. The girl at the store told us they were probably 3 days old so they are almost a week old already and I already can see some teeny tiny tail feathers poking out of the fluff. We are super excited and are going to start of the coop this weekend. Just wanted to say hi, and I am sure I will have more questions at some point.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. It's always exciting getting those first chicks. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hi Mom, welcome to BYC. Have you subscribed to your state thread yet? Go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum so you can locate and post on your state thread. You may find you have chicken neighbors, and will get the lowdown on the best feed stores, who has what breeds, how to handle your climate.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! Enjoy your new chicks and welcome to our flock!

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC -- enjoy your babies, they grow and change SO fast!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by