New moma hen question?? "UPDATE!!!!"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchickmom, May 1, 2008.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I bought 2 chicks, that are about 3 days old, so I could put them under my broody.
    How long before she will take the chicks out of the nest so they can eat??
    Should I remove her and them from the nest?
    I'm also guessing I should make a comfortable nest for them at floor level since the nest box is about 18 inches off the floor.

Can someone tell me what to do now? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How do I do this???

3. Flyman39

Flyman39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    Extremely carefully. How long has the hen been broody?? Has she hatched out her own eggs? What breed is she?

4. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The hen is only 9 months old Australorp. She has been broody for almost 3 weeks and I have tried to break her (it worked with the other broody) so I bought 2 chicks for her. We don't have a roo.
    How long before I know for sure she has accepted them?
    Since the nest is off the floor, should I make 1 for them on the floor and move them?
    Should I wait for her to move them?
    I left a chick feeder and waterer in the coop this morning, just in case, because I know they could never reach the other ones.

5. Flyman39

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    She is a first time mother and that is a negative. She has not already hatched and it has been three weeks and that is a positive. However, I would isolate them in another coop or box or brooder. They should not be off the ground as you describe. If there are other hens in this coop they may harm them. Next you need to put her in first and make sure she accepts the new place and still acts as though she is sitting on eggs. You need to do all of this at night. Then(at night), put the chicks under her. Watch them very very carefully. If she is going to accept them she will do it in the first few hours or so. If not she will try to kill them and she will do it quickly. If she seems to accept them at the time you introduce them (This is night) then make sure you are there to watch her at daylight. A good sign that she is going to take them on is if she starts grinding food in her beak and calling for them. If she does this then she will most likely accept them.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  6. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I got home from work and moma had the babies on the floor over by the food and water. The other hens seem to be a little courious, but are mostly leaving her and chicks alone. Especially when she growls [​IMG]

I have gave her a nestbox on the floor and have put food and water for her and the chicks in a corner out of the way. She seems to be taking very good care of them and freaks if they get to far from her. The other hens ore being very good with them also. [​IMG]

7. Flyman39

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    I am very glad to hear that she has taken them on. Acting as you describe she has accepted them and she wil raise them. Good Job. Please don't let this good experience with this set the standard if you ever do this again. Always be very careful. I have had two really bad experiences with doing this. I have also had many succsessful ones. Great job newchickmom. Now post us some pics........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by