New Momma...Chick toes look bent or broken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chikenlady, Apr 19, 2008.

1. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Hi all, I just hatched 8 Barred Rock and 6 Black Aust. chicks. They are now 1 week old! This is my first venture into chickens so I have a question. A few chicks seem to have a toe or two that is not straight. Will it straighten out or did it get broken somehow?

I also read somewhere that you should trim a chick's beak (yikes!). Is this necessary and/or recommended?

I am a second grade teacher, so after I was successful with these chicks, I have set 16 Blue Cochin eggs in my classroom. The kids are excited...it will be a long wait for them I'm sure.

I do plan to keep all my chickens. I am a bit worried about how many roosters I will have. Is it okay to keep grown roosters together?

Thanks,

Lori

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    You only need to clip their beak if they are cannibalistic or if they are hurting each other with their beak. for the roosters I am keeping one rooster for my 6 hens. (I am new to this to so i'm not completely sure on how many roosters per hen)

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    For curly toes cut a small piece of cardboard the size of the feet and using band-aids tape the toes out straight and into place.

Here is the baby I had with curly toes.

[​IMG]

4. Deee

Deee New Egg

Nov 23, 2008
    Hi there, we were looking at this website and have has to tape our little chickens foot like the pic shows. He is a week old. How long should we leave it on for?
    He didn't seem very impressed with us when we did it but he seems to be okay
    Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I tried the "flatten, straighten" toe remedy and every morning I found he had managed to get it off. He's 5 years old now and has crooked toes but king over 2 other roosters. [​IMG]

I think you should keep it on a week. Check it and if they're not fixed, keep it on an additional week.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also don't trim a roosters' beak.

The rooster-hen ratio is a big debate and each situation and breed is different. I have only silkies. 3 roosters to 9 hens. Most would say too many roosters but only one rooster is allowed to mate because he's the king or Alpha Male. The ideal setup is one rooster for 8-10 hens.

Great pic M.Prissy!!! (He looks sooooo mad! [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by