New Momma, chicks and the cold...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lindsy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Lindsy

Lindsy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Hi everyone
    Just had a new momma (buff orp) hatch at least one chick...I think more on the way. Think we might get another 2 -3 chicks. I thought she was just "playing" at being broody as she is fairly young and never went broody before. I'm in Canada (west coast) and its getting down below 0degrees f at night. Small flock (1 roo, 3 other hens plus one duck). Concerned about trying to have chicks in the winter...never thought it would happen! So, any suggestions about how to make this successful? should I bring mom and babies inside? Just keep heat lamp on 24/7 (which I'm doing right now)...We've only hatched in the spring so this is really outside any experience I have. I'm keeping the others away (blocked off) but water and food for momma...and on my way to get some chick starter. Anything else?

thanks!

2. morgan36

morgan36 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Southern Ohio
    just keep doing what you are doing I had a hen hatch some eggs last month when is was cold and they are doing great

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats on the chick! If you have a heat lamp in the coop and a mom hen to keep the chicks warm they'll be fine. I've had hens raise chicks outside over winter and we didn't get as cold as by you guys, but they did fine. Remember they are designed to keep chicks warm! You can feed mom and chicks chick starter, but keep her and them away form layer food. She'll give it to them if she gets some and it can harm their organs if they eat too much of it at such a young age.

4. Lindsy

Lindsy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! Heat lamp is set up and all seems well. Everyone (rooster, hens and duck) all had to take a good look to see what was up; but we have them blocked off just fine. I'm leaving the heat lamp on overnite and checking the temp; so fingers crossed for the morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by