New momma of rescued baby chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommachickof1, Jul 5, 2016.

1. mommachickof1

mommachickof1 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    I have found a chick wondering alone and decided to take the baby in. It's been almost a week now and he or she is my first encounter with a chick. I have been reading all that I can on them and am trying the best I know to provide for the baby! I have bought a brooder box it's a large tote and have put down pine shavings purchased from tractor supply. Bought a feeder with chick starter and a waterer also. I've made a few little "homey" touches to try and keep my baby entertained which include a hanging cd (so baby can look into) a perching ladder made of sticks, toilet paper roll, a rock baby can jump on, tiny stuffed animal and 1 small blanket that I have noticed baby likes to sleep on. Also have a heating lamp to keep baby warm. I'm just looking for advice to keep going with raising him/her and would appreciate any that is given! I live in a large apartment but take the chick out every so often to graze and today chicky caught its first ants and loved them! Is there any signs of sadness I should look for? Am I doing a good job? Has anyone kept a chick indoors and had success? Please let me know thank you. Chick is about 3-4 weeks old now. Thank you! [​IMG][/IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I answered your other post. Chicky is adorable.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

A wondering chick! Lucky baby roamed into the right area!

4. pom pom chook

pom pom chook New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    He or she doesn't look sad. For food I would give it layers pelets but crushed. Ang signs of sadness are: not being itself. Hiding . not eating and forever sleeping. I am not saying it has worms but just to keep it healthy you might wanna give it a piece of garlic now and then. If you're worryed about worms, I mean internal worms, you can buy worm medicine online.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by