New Momma was attacked--healing now, but need some input

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VTanimal-lover-mom-hippie, Jul 1, 2010.

1. VTanimal-lover-mom-hippie

VTanimal-lover-mom-hippie New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    HI all...
    what a wonderful forum!!!! my first time here.
    Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Long story made shorter... our sweet Luna [​IMG](she is an arucana) she was one of babies last year. this year she was a v. determined brooder and left us a month ago to nest somewhere( so we believed)(we abutt forest land). She showed up last wk with 6 chicks( oh so sweet) but would NOT go into the coop. She was deserate mom looking for her chicks and so we let her go back that night. That night it poured so she made it without problems but the next we believed the bad raccoon the killed 2 or our hens last year likely attacked her.
    I heard her screams (such a horrific and traumatic sound) and we all ran to the rescue as we now had an idea where her nest was..... she and all the babies were gone . We cried the whole night thinking she was carried off and the babies eaten. Much to our surprise she was there in the am with all 6 chicks.
    She is injured and our vet made a house call. She has a gash on her back and other injuries that are now healing. The gash is bad and we are watching and waiting with anitbx, metacam.
    My question is.... how can you truly tell if they are losing weight? She is eating a bit ( she gives to her chicks) and is now walking around. Her comb is good color and all else looks like it is ok. but when I touch her breast area, I can feel her breast bone and some loose skin. Everything looks like she is healing and hanging in there but I am worried in the back of my mind.
    I feed her by hand and she from me.... it is hard to know how much of her grain she eats ...some is disappearing but there are 6 chicks. I supplement with fresh corn, berries, watermelon...etc.

Does anyone have any experience with injuries, things to watch for, signs etc.
    My vet is very helfpul, but I also have to be judicious about finances. I have just spent $700 on this and my dog who we had to sadly have euthanized just last month.

thanks anyone!!!!

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Hi and welcome!

I think she is bound to lose some weight, first with brooding and caring for her babies, and now with the trauma and injuries. She is a very lucky lady and mom. Chickens have an amazing ability to heal, so don't give up on Luna. I have a hen who had some severe tears on her side down to the bone from an overzealous roo. With a little tender loving care she has healed up nicely, except feathers never grew back over the spot where her skin was ripped off.

Just keep Luna and her babies safe and watch for infection, and I bet everything will be just fine. - Oh, and keep an eye on her wounds. If she gets too dirty from dirt bathing, you may have to clean her wound sites. I gave my girl soaks in the sink a few times - she appeared to love them!

3. VTanimal-lover-mom-hippie

VTanimal-lover-mom-hippie New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Sjisty...
    oh thank you soooooo much for your response and information. I do feel better reading this. I have been so immersed in taking care of her and making sure she is okay, that I actually completely forgot that she sat on those eggs for those weeks and would have lost some weight with that.

She is in a separate compartment of the coop with her babies--SAFE now and with clean shavings and grass clippings..... so right now she isn't sand bathing...I will wait a bit longer to let her out to do so.

the funny thing is those chicks; particularly one of them love to jump onot her back and walk around .... I know that is ok..
    but even funniers was to see one "sand-bathe" in the shavings ... hadn't seen that before . I have been in such a "health and well being" mode that i thought it was having a seizure. It wasn't.... but it was funny and worrisome to see at first.

thanks so much.
    she is such a sweet chicken and so deserves every chance to do what she is so determined to do.
    She wings momma of the year award in my book for certain!!!!

but please tell me....how do you get your chickens to soak in the sink ????[​IMG]

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Frack was pretty ripped open by the roo. The wounds were ugly and filthy. I just filled the sink with warm water and placed her slowly in. She stretched out her neck and rested her head on my arm while I took a cup and poured the water over her back (she was too tall to fit all the way down in the water). I also put a towel in the sink so she wouldn't lose her footing. She just closed her eyes and was totally relaxed (or in shock). I did this about 4 times, mainly because her skin was just hanging like an open pocket, so I wanted to make sure it stayed clean. Afterward, I dried her thoroughly and gave her treats.

Now she's a house chicken. She has rejoined the flock but knocks on my front door every day to be let in to lay her egg. When she is finished, she comes and asks for a treat and then goes back outside. She follows me around like a puppy dog when I'm outside.

[​IMG]

5. the pampered egg

the pampered egg New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Hi, I'm new to this so please bare with me. My hen was attacked by a fox right in front of me yesterday. She survived but has a bad gash accross her back. I cleaned it with peroxide and covered the wound using a Dr's mask ( the kind the Dr's office hands to you if you have the flu). This allows the air to get to it but keeps the flies and dirt out of the wound. I heard that male human urine will keep out a fox from the chicken yard. Has anyone tried this with success? I would like to know if this works. The fox is coming up daily and going after my chickens. They are cooped up but I would like to let them back out without fear of them being attacked. Thanks

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Your story is just way toooo cute. Thanks for sharing that. I was just outside holding each of my gals in a mister, trying to cool them off in this heat wave the northeast is having. hope my neighbors didn't see my personal wet tee shirt contest going on. it wasn't pretty![​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by