1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Momma?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Millsville, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Millsville

Millsville New Egg

Jul 13, 2014
    Two weeks ago- discovered new baby chicks that were about 1 week old- we have left them alone and let Mother Nature and their adopted momma take care of them watching closely. Our rooster has helped in the parenting as well- he has been very protective when we tried to check on them. They are thriving.... However today I went out to their momma dead! I was devastated!!!! Will another hen step in to procect the babies? Any suggestions on what we should do or what not to do???? Thanks in advance! Also anyone know why this would happen after 3 weeks?

2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I don't think that any of the other birds will step forward at this stage. They've imprinted on the dead hen already, so even if one did, I don't think the chicks would respond. If it were me, I'd put them in a brooder and care for them until they could be integrated into the flock. Roosters will help co-parent with a hen, but it's doubtful he'd take over those duties since the hen is dead.

I've had hens die with no explainable reason too. It's sad, and I lost a favorite Cochin like that.

3. Millsville

Millsville New Egg

Jul 13, 2014
    Thanks peeps- my husband isn't sure it was the momma- we've had so much rain and they are all in sorts- so I'm gonna check on them tonight and see! Hopefully wasn't momma!

4. Millsville

Millsville New Egg

Jul 13, 2014
    Great news (well sorta) it wasn't the momma-just checked and all is well, momma has her babies all snuggled in... Still sad I lost one of my girls, but so glad it wasn't momma. Since the babies arrived we've had so much rain and all the girls have been pissy pants so something was bound to happen!

5. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    That's great! At least you don't have to worry about the chicks now.

6. flewdcoop

flewdcoop Out Of The Brooder

A thread you might want to look in to is the "mama heating pad" thread by Blooie
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ooder-picture-heavy-update/1660#post_15941148

Just in case you run into another situation like this again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by