New Mommy in Arizona

hdipadova

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
Mesa, AZ
My hubby got us 4 chicks for Christmas and we have never had chickens before so I am feeling kind of lost. I wanna make sure the are safe and happy. Every website I look at always seems to refer to BYC so i figure this is the best place to get some answers. First off, we built a brooder for the chicks and I am not sure if it is warm enough. It is about 55 degrees outside mid day and drops about 15 degrees at night. the brooder is a 24" by 36" wood box and it has one 75 watt bulb in it. The chicks are about 2 weeks old. Is this warm enough? I dont have a thermometer.

you can tell whether or not the chicks are warm enough by how they behave. if they are all huddling under the heat lamp, they are cold. if they are panting or getting as far away as possible from the lamp, they're too warm. if they look comfortable, then they are fine.

I found that the thermometer didn't help me, cuz they were more comfortable at a lower temp than was recommended, so I just ditched it after a week or so.

Quote:
You got that right!
lol.png
This truly is the best site on the web for chicken info. Glad you joined us and welcome to the wonderful wide world of chickens!!!
welcome-byc.gif
!!!

Quote:
You got that right!
lol.png
This truly is the best site on the web for chicken info. Glad you joined us and welcome to the wonderful wide world of chickens!!!
welcome-byc.gif
!!!

I agree if are looking to learn about chickens look no further new Mom. you have found your home, just beware be very aware. This could lead to more chickens, less house work and more hatching. we are a fun bunch but very addictive for sure.

AL

oh yea and you will have too much fun too.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Oh how I miss Arizona! I grew up in Phoenix and I miss the desert so bad this time of year. About where are you?

And they are right that you can tell the right temp for chicks by the way they act. Good luck with your new babies!

I agree with the others about watching the chicks behavior, but I also suspect you are going to find them huddled under the heat lamp - I doubt they are warm enough outside under a 75 watt bulb.

You might want to keep them inside for a few weeks and then move them outdoors under a heat lamp. We live in Glendale, AZ and I kept our chicks under a heat lamp with a 250 watt bulb (purchased at home depot) inside a shed till they were 6 weeks old and that was back in Sept when it wasn't even that cold outside yet. Even in Sept, they were usually under the heat lamp.

Two week old Chicks should be kept at 85-90 degrees. They can go down another 5 degrees each week till they're about 6 weeks old and have all their feathers. They'll either move out a little from being right under the lamp or you can raise the lamp a little higher each week. Good luck.

Welcome! Nice to see another member in AZ!

Chickens are so addictive.. only had mine a few months and I'm already plotting how to get more past my hubby.

Can you post pics of your new babies?

Back
Top Bottom