New mommy questions...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mom'sfolly, Mar 14, 2009.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    My broody hatched two babies late Thursday or early Friday, and the other two eggs had been moved (while I was out of town, no less!) so aren't going to hatch. The thing is she still hasn't gotten off the nest. Is she going to? Does she not get the whole mommy thing? This is the first time I've let a broody hatch eggs so I don't know what to expect. Should she and the little ones be seperated from the rest of the flock? If she doesn't get off the nest do I move the babies to a brooder? What food does new mommy get? Do she and the little ones get chick starter? Dang it, I should know these things already.....

Thanks

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    When she is sitting on nest, are the little ones under her? Put some chick starter in there for the little ones. As long as she is keeping them warm, and they are eating, should be no reason to move them. Try to see if you can tell if she is nervous about letting the little ones out and about with the rest of the flock, if she is, maybe just separate them from the rest of the flock. If your pen is big enough, you may be able to just fence off a smaller area inside the big area for them to be in for awhile. That way, they all still know one another, but no harm will come to the little ones.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by