New Mommy to Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ashsilkielove, Jun 22, 2016.

1. ashsilkielove

ashsilkielove Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    Hello Everyone,

I had bought 6 Ameraucana‘s about 8 weeks ago as babies, they have now been transferred to an outside coop a week ago. They did great transitioning outside for 3 days and than a friend of mine asked to buy two from me, I decided to give him the two and now the remaining 4 will not leave their home. I have to bring the food and water up into their nesting beds to get them to eat or drink. I am worried they aren’t eating or drinking enough, could they be depressed the other 2 are gone ? What can I do to help them come out and about ? Thank you for your help!!!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Taking two chicks out could have caused an upset in the pecking order. Even at that age they will have established one amongst themselves. Maybe the more confident chicks are the ones that have left the group so the others don't feel as willing to head out without them. Could anything have scared them whilst out in the run?

Please do pop by the behaivour section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying
    I'm sure members there will be able to offer more advice.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes at this age, it is possible the chicks feel that something is preying on them since others in their flock have turned up missing. Chicks are very instinctual and can respond to things like this with fear. I would just let them relax and settle in for now. Let time pass. Even with adult flocks, when a hen dies off, others can mourn in the flock, some will stop laying and even stop eating over the loss. Especially if one of them became best of buddies with the one that passed on.

So just let them decide when they want to come out and when it is time to rest. Don't force them to come out or do anything. You might go sit with them with some goodies, reassure them all is well, Move slowly around them and don't handle them for a while as this adds more stress. Eventually they will get over the loss.

But keep an eye on things and if any of them appear sick, you might post in our emergency section at that time. But I think they will all do just fine in time.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

4. ashsilkielove

Jun 22, 2016
    Hi ! Thank you for getting back to me, the two I had gotten rid of could have been more confident. We have Hawks that sit on the trees and watch them but it has been that way since day one. They don't go near them just sit and watch we have a larger roof with shingles on the top of the coop so nothing can get in, they are not free range because of the hawks. Do you know what I can do to help them?

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have awful troubles with hawks and other predators around here too. So unless I supervise my birds while free ranging, they do spend much of their time in a giant run.

There isn't much you can do about hawks other than let them be. But you can entertain your birds enough that being confined isn't so bad. I have ladders, mirrors, levels to hop up on, you can give them a flake of grass hay or alfalfa occasionally, you can hang cabbages or other fruit like apples and such. I like to hang those seed bells you can buy for wild birds. My chickens go nuts over those. LOL If you keep them busy enough, you can replace free ranging a bit. I let my birds out first thing in the morning while I am around to watch or be out in the yard. But if I can't watch them enough, I bring them back in. I have lost birds to predators and it just isn't worth it.

6. ashsilkielove

Jun 22, 2016
    Thank you so much for your help ! I went and bought a few treats for them so hopefully I will make them more comfortable with coming out of the home. I'm new to this and did not know that they get depressed when others leave the flock now I feel terrible if I had known I wouldn't have given the other two to my friend. I asked him for the two back thinking this will help them get comfortable again.

7. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    It could be they like their coop...or they feel secure in the coop. For hot summer days offer them water in many places. They may change where they hang out.
    Caroline

1 person likes this.
  8. ashsilkielove

Jun 22, 2016
    Do you think if I ask my friend for the two back they will feel more comfortable ?

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It depends on how long they have been gone. Too long and you will have trouble with integrating them back in! LOL

I would just leave well enough alone. Your birds will be just fine.

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Just give them time. Birds need to feel comfortable and changes scare even adults. Don't rush them into doing anything they might stress more over and they will come around, I promise. :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by