New mother and i'm going crazy plz help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck Love07 AR, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Duck Love07 AR

Duck Love07 AR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Trumann Arkansas
    Ok so i am flipping out! [​IMG] i need help please. i got new baby Cayuga ducks, i have three of them and i thought one had eye worms. after i started letting it bath dayly however its eyes was just fine. I told them out side because it was warm and as i was putting them up i saw that one of them had a little red on its throat. i picked it up and the one i thought had eye worms now has one side of his throat red and swollen. its really warm when i touch it. What does it have?! and can you fix it?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds like there's at least a mild infection traveling around the baby's head and neck.

I would put some triple antibiotic without pain reliever (pain reliever is toxic to ducks, I am told) on the affected area two times a day. Yes it will be messy. Not globs, just a thin layer over the red places.

If you can get photo's that helps forum members make guesses about what's going on.

It could just be irritated from rubbing against something, or another duck picking at it, or any number of reasons.

How often do they get fed? 24/7 or do you have feeding times (24/7 is the way to go for ducklings, by the way). Sometimes if they have run out of food they will gorge themselves, stretching the skin of their neck. Not common, but not unheard of.

3. Duck Love07 AR

Duck Love07 AR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Trumann Arkansas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    i hope this help. please help me i am sooo going crazy with worry. and i feed them throw out the day not all day.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    See if you can get them food all day. That may or may not have anything to do with the neck skin irritation. You've been giving baths, right? Keep that up. No soap, as you know, just clean water.

Do you have Veterycin spray? That might help some, just to prevent infection if all you have right now is irritation.

Deep breath. It's a steep learning curve and we all both make mistakes and are afraid of making mistakes, and just about everything we see is something we have not ever seen before.

I would put just a little triple antibiotic cream (not greasy ointment) on the irritated area and watch it. See how it looks closer to bedtime tonight. I will, I hope, be able to check in later tonight as well.

[​IMG]

5. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Amiga gave wonderful advice. I hope your little duckling responds well to the treatment. Is it also possible for her to have a bee sting? Bees are out crazy right now...

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You have bees out?
    Please listen to what Amiga says about food needing to be out 24/7 for very young ducklings and plenty of fresh water since ducklings/ducks need water to help wash down their food. Hopefully that's all that's happened is it's gorged itself on feed, which isn't a good thing but better than something very serious. and a little triple antibiotic around the eye too. or veterycin spray which is safe to use around the face including the eyes.

7. zooweemama

And I will attest to the awesomeness of Vetericyn eye drops. I used it last year on some dry duckie eyes and it worked fabulous. We did lose a duckling to a bee sting last year which is why I even asked. A black duckling even. I think ours tried to eat it and got stung.

But food and water need to be all the time with the new sprouts. They are little piggies. And at the same time. They need plenty of water to dip their entire head in to keep their eyes clean too. I hope she is doing better. I hope we hear from you soon!

8. zooweemama

Me? Yes we have bees out. We've had some very Spring like weather and the bees are all over the ground.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We had temps into the 40's today and i saw one bug flying around, but haven't seen any bees yet. [​IMG] Be careful they are probably more apt to sting this time of year.

10. zooweemama

It's 72 out right now. No complaints although it is weird! It's really going to wreak havoc with the farmers. We are still getting frost at night. I don't know where everyone lives so I thought I would toss the bees out there lol...just in case anyone else is having whack weather. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by