New mother constipated!

Virus

Songster
6 Years
May 21, 2015
Kentucky
My Cochin Bantam hen just got done brooding some eggs, all of the chicks are doing well but now she's straining when she goes to the bathroom and her vent is angry red and some blood is dripping out of it. I'm not sure what to do with the situation I've ever had to deal with a constipated chicken. So far very little has actually managed to pass and I'm worried about her. Any suggestions are welcomed.

My Cochin Bantam hen just got done brooding some eggs, all of the chicks are doing well but now she's straining when she goes to the bathroom and her vent is angry red and some blood is dripping out of it. I'm not sure what to do with the situation I've ever had to deal with a constipated chicken. So far very little has actually managed to pass and I'm worried about her. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Is there any chance you can take her to a vet?

Is there any chance you can take her to a vet?
No the only vet that would see a chicken is the exotic bird vet and they've already closed :(. She's not acting painful or anything. She's eating and drinking and pecking and doing everything a chicken normally does. She's also not constantly trying to go to the bathroom. If that helps.

No the only vet that would see a chicken is the exotic bird vet and they've already closed :(. She's not acting painful or anything. She's eating and drinking and pecking and doing everything a chicken normally does. She's also not constantly trying to go to the bathroom. If that helps.
Worms, coccidiosis, dehydration, and infection can cause what you are seeing. If she were mine. Would tube fluids to her, but tubing is easy for me. Can you take her to the vet tomorrow? In the meantime, withhold all dry food and feed nothing but crumbles soaked in water. Maybe getting the extra water in her will help.

Worms, coccidiosis, dehydration, and infection can cause what you are seeing. If she were mine. Would tube fluids to her, but tubing is easy for me. Can you take her to the vet tomorrow? In the meantime, withhold all dry food and feed nothing but crumbles soaked in water. Maybe getting the extra water in her will help.
Ok I'll do that. I don't know about getting her to the vet but I can try.

She's doing much better now, I gave her wet food and some olive oil mixed with warm water, that seemed to get things moving along. Her vent is no longer bleeding or red!

Back
Top Bottom