New Mother Hen of 6 chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hawkc, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Hawkc

Hawkc New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    Hello from Patterson Ca!

I am raising 5 children and now my children want to raise chicks!

We had the opportunity to care for 3 hens and fell in love with them. We now want to raise our own.

We have never raised chicks, it will be exciting and educational for my children.

I took my kids to the store to pick out chicks. Of course they went for the prettiest color, Not really knowing what we were getting.
    I wanted a good egg layer.
    I purchased a book and supplies to give us an idea of how to start.

Then I went home and looked up each type of chick. Thats were I found your Website.

We purchased Last Friday 1- Gold sexlink, 1-Barred Rock, 2 bantans, 1-Leghorn and an Araucane.

The store said they can all live together. Everything seems to be going well so far.
    I did have to help one of the bantans. Yesterday I noticed her poop was stuck to her bottom and she was just chirping and not eating or drinking. I looked it up and its called "Pasting ?" So I cleaned her up and she pooped so much afterwards, poor thing. Then I gave her some sugar water.

I watched her all day. Today she is cleaning, eating and drinking. She looks so much better. I now check all the chicks bottom.

I hope to use this web site to help me with my question. The book I purchased doesn't have all answers. And searching the web is time consuming.

I am looking forward to raising these chicks and using this form.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Thank you

The Hoxie family

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    [​IMG]

You will find everything you need to know here. Just do a search or ask if you can't find the info. Good luck with your new babies. Now you need to build a coop![​IMG]

3. Hawkc

Hawkc New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    Thanks, sounds like you have a busy household too.....[​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] Where is Patterson? I am in SoCal desert area.

5. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    [​IMG] from WV!

6. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    [​IMG]

You will find lots of helpfull friendly people here. Dont forget to seach the arcives, Tons of info.

7. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    [​IMG] from CT [​IMG]

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

9. Chickenteacher

Chickenteacher Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Patterson, Louisiana
    Hi ya from Patterson, Louisiana! You'll love it here.....Chickens are awesome to have around with kids.....so many learning and teaching opportunities...

10. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    Welcome from southern california. We're new to chickens too and are totally loving the little ones. You already sound like a great chicken mom, but this is a great place to learn if you have any further concerns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by