1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new mother hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KathyJB, Dec 17, 2012.

1. KathyJB

KathyJB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    I can't believe this, but my Rock Cornish Game hen that came to me in March as a chick has been sitting on eggs for about 2 weeks now. There has been a lot of drama in my household lately so it just occurred to me that I need to do something quick before the eggs hatch, (that is if they are fertile) and where is the family going to go after they hatched? Do I need to build them a separate pen? I don't want the babies or mother out there with the dogs because I don't know how they will act with chicks.
    Can I leave them with the other chickens and rooster and just put small chicken wire around the run?
    I need a quick solution first. It's been years since I had to deal with this and back then they were free ranging most of the time. Memory loss is getting to be a problem it seems. :(

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If you have a rooster with your flock there is a pretty good chance the eggs will be fertile. If there's a possible problem with the dogs I think you should build a separate run or modify your existing one so the chicks can stay in and stay safe. Feed them and mom separately if you're feeding layer food (too much calcium for chicks) and apart from that you don't have to do anything, really. As long as mom has a safe, dry spot to sleep and shelter with her babies they'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by