New Mother laid an egg.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScoobyRoo, Dec 22, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have an 8 mo. old BO/LH hen that went broody and let her hatch out 2 chicks exactly a month ago. To my surprise when letting her and the chicks out this morning, there was an egg in there. I did not expect her to start laying again til spring. My question since this happened, what are the chances of her going broody again? I know all breeds differ but is this something she will do (how often) or will she wait til the chicks are older and more on their own? She is our first broody and has taught us a lot. Meaning babies CAN survive in 5 degree weather with MaMa. So again, I ask will she go broody soon or it is one of those individual thing?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts and/or expereince.

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Is she the only hen that can get to that nest? I have had hens pile in to lay eggs.

Mine usually wait 6 weeks before laying again.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Yep, She is locked in with the chicks. I know the chicks are not laying yet.[​IMG] I also heard her doing the "laying an egg" song that I thought she was singing with another hen at the time. But she must have been doing it for herself.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    by "chicks" you must mean fully feathered out younger birds you are growing out, not fluffy, peeping balls of feathers that sleep in her feathers? She is just cycling back normally if they are older chicks.

5. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:Yes, they are a month old now. But I just assumed and heard that they may not lay for quite some time. I just hope she doesn't go broody again. Even though it was fun, I'm not ready till spring.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    keep pulling the new eggs she lays every day, asap, and if she looks broody, put her away in a wire cage with no sort of cuddly aspect to it at all. Wire on all six sides, bright light, no hint of darkness or protected areas. The sooner you cage her, the fewer days she will spend thinking about brooding and the sooner she will get back to laying.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:This method worked for me.

8. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    So far so good. I've been collecting the eggs she lays. When I'm home, Mother and chicks get to free range and she has not been acting broody. I have noticed that she leaves the chicks further behind while foraging.

9. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    well she could go broody again because my duck had five babes left an started killing them so the next day i couldnt find her, i finally fond her sitting on 10 eggs

btw the du ckling were only 3 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by