New Mother to Flying Mallard Babies Lives in Rural Area With Hunters - Can They Be Banded?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by terris, Mar 16, 2015.

1. terris

terris Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    PA
    Does anyone know how to go about this or have a better idea?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Are they wild? Or are they from stock you own?

-Kathy

3. terris

Nov 21, 2010
    PA
    I just bought them as week olds.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Are you trying to keep them from being hunted? If so, you'll need to keep them on your property and clip their wings.

-Kathy

5. terris

Nov 21, 2010
    PA
    Kathy, I know but I wanted to have that extra protection of a band that should tell anyone PET DUCK.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Not sure a hunter will even see the band... Even if they could, I doubt they'd care. :(

-Kathy

7. seashoreduck

seashoreduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Any duck can be banded, but it won't change anything. Hunters aren't forbidden from shooting ANY banded ducks if they're in season. And realistically, as another person said, a hunter could never see a band anyway...I mean c'mon a duck looks centimeters big, how in the heck would you see a band?

If a banded duck has a tag with identifiable information, responsible hunters will act after the fact. Usually, they will just ask hunters to report back to fish and game if they get one, as the duck may have been following an unusual migration pattern.

If you're raising pet ducks...and they are your pets, not babies, you're going to want to clip their flight feathers when they are old enough. I like the idea of clipping bilaterally as it will allow the duck to "fly" down and not kamikaze out of control. It can take more work, but more worth it.

My mallards were not clipped, and they were not hunted, mostly because they were fat and lazy and preferred running around and swimming to flying. Only when spooked and unhappy would they fly.

That said, free ranging isn't ideal unless you have planned for it and know exactly what's going on. Hunters are only part of the picture when it comes to things that target ducks. You need to keep them in a good, secure coop with the chicken wire burried a few inches below the soil line if you really want to protect them.

1 person likes this.
  8. terris

Nov 21, 2010
    PA
    Thanks, Sea. I will read up on bilateral clipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by