1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Motion Feature " Oh my gosh We Did It", Starring...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JaceAgain, Feb 27, 2014.

1. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    So, first off, he said the silkies are a week to two weeks, but they look a little rough? Is there any way to tell yet if they are girls/boys? Is there anything I'm missing at this point? How does the brooder look? Should I toss in a dirt/weed clump yet or is that not until another week? Is it possible to hold them too much? How do I tell if they are overheated?
    <3

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Well, as for you brooder and chicks, here are just a few things to check for:
    Do you have an extra heat lamp handy?? Do your chicks have "Warm and Cool Zones" in their brooder?? ("Warm and Cool Zones" That just means: Do your chicks have a cool place in the brooder where they can go to, when they get too hot.) Are they being fed medicated chick starter and given clean water at all times??? Do they live in a low stress environment?? (To reduce the chance of coccodia.)
    And one other thing: Make surer that the heat lamp does not melt the side of the tote!!

As for them getting to hot, if they are huddling udder the lamp, then you know you need to lower the heat lamp so that they can stay warm. If they are always trying to get away from the lamp, it is to hot so you should raise the lamp a bit. If they are all happily minding their own business and seem to be happily scratching and pecking and having fun, then you have the lamp at the right temperature for you chicks.

As for being able to tell what sex they are, it is hard to do that until thay are a litte bit older. If you wait until they are 8 weeks old, it will be a TON easier to determine their sex.

I hope this helps!

Cute presentation BTW.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    Thank you! I made their brooder bigger:)

4. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Cool![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by