New mum with unhatched eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tedigirl, Jul 27, 2014.

1. tedigirl

tedigirl New Egg

Jul 27, 2014
    Hi, i've just joined BYC. My hen has hatched 1 chic (20 days) but I have 2 more eggs (24 hrs later) with no cracks. Can I help them along or just leave well alone? Appreciate any help.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. Wanex

Wanex Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2014
    Give them atleast three or four days meanwhile the hen will either stay and hatch the eggs or it could be that the eggs didn't have chicks, And/or the eggs could of have had chicks but the embryos died premature and could not made it to hatching day.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Have you candled the eggs at any stage to see if they are developing? What I usually do when this happens is candle the eggs to see if they are viable and tap them. Hold the egg against your ear and gently tap them with your fingernail, then listen for signs of life from inside. Fingers crossed!

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Well you say one hatched but you did not say on what day ,,, so is it day 18 or 21 makes a difference ......

Oh not all egg's hatch .......

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have been given some good advice by the other BYC members. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope your last two eggs hatch. Good luck.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

As stated above, it all depends on what day the incubation is on and whether or not you have candled any of the remaining eggs. If these don't hatch in a day or two, chances are the hen will abandon them and concentrate on her one chick.

Keep us posted and I hope the others hatch!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. tedigirl

tedigirl New Egg

Jul 27, 2014
    Thank you all so much for your replies. She is still sitting on them so I will not give up hope yet. They were given to be by a reliable source but I have not candled them, I did however put them to my ear today to listen but couldn't here a thing. I do appreciate that all the eggs she has may not hatch, to tell you the truth I wasn't expecting any!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I LOVE YOUR AVATAR! Cocker spaniel?

10. tedigirl

tedigirl New Egg

Jul 27, 2014
    Thank you so much! Sadly no longer with us, went before his time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by