New Muscovy Adoptee

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Azd1292, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Azd1292

Azd1292 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    So it's been a long while since I've posted on here but we just adopted a sweet muscovy to our little flock . It is our first muscovy so I'm looking for any tips or care for them vs our other ducks and geese. I'm not sure how to post a picture on mobile but hopefully I was able to update my avator with a picture of Ferq. We are thinking he is a male but it is hard for me to say for sure since he is my first. He is only a few months old and still has a sweet duckling chirp when do they start to hiss? Thanks all!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Legs kinda make me think girl, but if you can post side view of body with legs and straight front view. Maybe can tell. sure is cute duckling. As far as taking care of them not really any difference than other ducks I have a 4 month old drake and he hasn't hissed yet but has made some drake noises.

Muscovy's are the sweetest ducks, the tail wagging is just the cutest. I bet he/she

would enjoy having one of it's own for friendship too.

Drake- Legs thick set farther apart under body body long, ducks legs slim and set closer together where when they walk they look like they may step on their own feet and they have a foot ball shaped body[ American football] Congrats on your 1st Scovy.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    By a few months they start to take their voice of their sex, girls get the voice quicker IME the boys don't get a true hiss till closer to 5/6mths when reaching sexual maturity.

More pics would be good, size is where it's at for telling the sexes apart, boys are big and girls are more petite. As for special care, the only things would be aware of their roosting instincts(females more than males) there excellent flight(again more female than males) and the facial flesh in winter time, i usually dab Vaseline on it to reduce frostbite, males are usually worse for this.

Enjoy your scovy!

4. Azd1292

May 18, 2011
    Thanks all! I'm going to get some pictures of him today . We have some coop expanding to do this fall/winter and then I would love to have another scovy. This was an unplanned (but welcome) adoption and our geese unexpectedly hatched two mallard ducklings this summer so it is time for more night coops :)

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looking at your avatar it looks like a drake but pics are so deceiving making them look larger than they are, but looking at legs makes me think girl. We look forward to more pics.

6. Azd1292

May 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Got some new pictures of our buddy today.. I'm thinking a male just based on his size but of course only the mallard would join him in the pictures. Please don't mind all the hoses in the background :) Ducks rule the yard here

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm thinking drake too, but those legs in first pic look slim and close together so not 100%, hopefully GQ will weigh in on this one being she is more drake experienced [​IMG]

8. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

She´s definitely 100% a girl, she has her flights in. Neat feet. Very pretty. She´ll probably change her colour a bit yet, though.

9. livininbrazil

Do you know, I take it back..I´m not sure now that I´ve got onto the other computer and the screen is wider, makes it look like a drake now!! Well, here´s a pic of a 3 or 4-month old drake and his sister, for comparison...the young drakes don´t tend to develop their flight feathers until a good while after the females already have theirs....also, at this age the males are more elongated. That´s why I´m now not sure, due to the wide-screen computer!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] she´s waggling her tail, so looks a bit odd. But can you see the difference in the wings?

10. livininbrazil

p.s. looks a bit of a character, also a sign of male.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by