new muscovy ducklings owner, please answer some questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jun 20, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    hi, i'm a first time duckling mom and recently got four 3 or 4 day old muscovy ducklings. so far they seem to not mind me petting and picking them up, they actually seem to enjoy it and like being next to me and in my lap. i spend a lot of time with them! i just have some questions. first, will they stay this tame as they grow up? also they don't follow me too much like i thought they would, is it because i have more than one or they're just not old enough yet? they start to but then one gets distracted and the others follow. i'd like them to be pets i've read ducks can make great pets, even ordered some ducky diapers so they can come inside [​IMG]. i've read things saying this particular breed doesn't like being handled when adults and also have read that they do so i don't know what to expect lol. all in all i guess my main concern and question is will they stay as cuddly and tame as they are now and will they start following me as they get older and continue to want to be around me. oh one last thing, are they too old to imprint on me and if not will they imprint on me even though there's more than one? thanks for your time [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    My scovies are tame after all the kids handling them when young . But they do like to be with there friends instead of me .Which is natural. When it comes to closing up the coop at night they will follow me inside to get fed while the other geese / ducks stand back and wait for me to move away . I can still pick each one up as an adult without much fuss. hope that helps.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine were harassed as really young ones by my kids [​IMG] There not into really being fussed with anymore.. (7wks) we do pick them up only because i am switching them between there night time 'coop' to the dog run for daytime .. it's getting harder though.. my biggest tends to kick up a fuss.. the smaller ones tend to fuss till you have them in hand then settle. On occasion they'll let you pet them, plus i can get them to eat from a bowl i hold.. we do this as a night time routine.. i give them peas this way [​IMG]

Muscovy nails are a thing to be reckoned with though so i don't see long term plans of handling them.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    So far they seem to enjoy being handled they just don't follow me. I'm hoping they stay as sweet as they are now:)

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Ours have never followed us, only one another. We have 4. I prefer it that way... our eventual plan is to 'free range' so they need to stay together for safety. I don't stay outside forever so following me would do them little good long term [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by