New Muscovy Ducks

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
Any advise from you guys about some potential new muscovy ducks?

A friend of mine has offered several of these ducks to me for free, as he has too many and he knows I used to keep pekin ducks as pets on the small lake outside my house.

Can I simply clip the muscovy ducks wings and release them onto the lake? They will be young adult birds.

When I had my pekin ducks, I raised them from chicks and gradually introduced them to the lake. They would walk up my driveway at 4.30pm every day for food and I would lock them up in a crate for the night.

I am worried the muscovy ducks will simply wander off into the fields. Also are they aware of predators? My pekin ducks were very clever and always kept a look out for any dogs or strange people. If they saw something they would quickly go onto the water.

Thanks for any advise.

I have no pond or lake experience as we have none here, however all my Muscovy free range and then get shut in a barn at night... none of my birds are clipped actually.

They are no different than any other duck once fallen into routine. Of coarse there is always the risk of a duck not returning.. but that is more about the individual duck.

I would consider feeding them for several days in a coop or other enclosed area so they know where "home" is and have a good motivation for coming back to it (food).

Also, Muscovies are not as cold-tolerant as many standard duck breeds, so depending on where you live, you might need to give them extra care during the winter.

Thank you everyone. I think I will coop them with my chickens for a few days so they forget about their old home. Then I will herd them down to the lake. I am very excited about having some ducks again!
celebrate.gif

I am in Northern Thailand, so the cold weather will not be a problem. I just worry about dogs. I hope they will have the sense to swim out onto the lake when a dog approaches and not just sit on the bank. I only ever lost one duckling to a dog attack in all the years keeping the last lot of ducks.

I had me Pekin ducks for years and they actually nested under the shrubs on a small island, and used to raise their own chicks But then I started to loose one duck a week and I could not figure out what was happening. From my 7 ducks I was left with 4. Then one night I spotted a python in the process of swallowing a duck! After that I was too afraid to keep my remaining ones so I re homed them. That was a few years ago......so I am pretty sure the snakes has gone away to look for other food by now (hope so).
fl.gif
Also big snakes don't usually last long around my village. If they are spotted they are killed and made into a curry!

Back
Top Bottom